Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: How to drink bourbon

That fairly resembles what I remember reading in a single malt scotch article (several years ago, before I came back to bourbon). I distinctly remember it saying it should be had at room temperature, mixed 1/3 water and 2/3 whiskey. It also said something to the effect that the water doesn't only dilute the whiskey, but that it also serves to release additional flavor and aroma elements that are not apparent without the water. And I distinctly remember that one of these additional elements was referred to as "esthers".

However, I almost always have my bourbon "on the rocks".

Tim

Guru

We have a very spicy local ginger ale in Alabama, Buffalo Rock. The packaging proclaims it to be made by an original, Civil War era recipe, but that makes no sense, to me. Maybe the base formula is a recipe that old, but I just don't believe they had carbonated beverages that long ago. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I drink it neat at room temperature. I too like to have spring water at hand as it goes along . I don't do the ginger ale and bourbon thing but I like Vernor's the best. Aged in white oak barrells for 2 years used to be on the bottles I don't think I've seen an age statement lately I'll look next time I get some.

Bobby Cox

Enthusiast

Chasers

I'll watch for that Buffalo brand, and I know I've seen Vernors but haven't tasted it. Root Beer, Spruce & Birch Beer and Ginger Beer predate 'carbonated soda' that's made with a syrup and carbonated water, you can find some good root beer, birch beer and ginger beer being made at microbreweries these days. One of my brewer buddies in Washington state makes the best root beer I've ever tasted. FWIW, I helped my Junior High Science Club brew Root Beer and sell it at football games to earn enough for field trips way back in the day (ours was mildly alcoholic, 1% perhaps, we leaked word on the fact that it had alcohol and it sold like hotcakes).

If you're interested, I'll post a recipe for making your own ginger beer over in the recipe section.

Disciple

Here, Here:

I dont necessarily chase but when I am through with the alcohol its a steady diet of ice water for at least 1/2 hour before bed. Keeping from dehydration is a must (even if you have to piss at 3 am) and because of it, I never suffer ill effects .

TomC

Disciple

Nah,

All it says now is "That Barrel Aged Taste",
    for whatever that is worth.

TomC

Enthusiast

I like the Whisky Blender's glass by Glencairn. In fact, it is what I usually drink non-bourbons in (shhh).

I had to order my Pure Glass from the Maison du Whisky in Paris. I (thought I) ordered through their web site but never got anything. After trying several times over 5-6 months, I sent an email and ordered that way. The glasses are great but expensive.

Enthusiast

If you're interested, here's a link to 'the pure glass'

http://www.whisky.fr/index.php3?id=&partie=1&id=242

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Yeah It seemed to me the claim of 2 years in a barrell was long gone. The flavor is still there they probably developed a powder to dump in it during their process.

Bobby Cox

Advanced Taster

At first i would drink everything in a regular glass with a bit of crushed ice (which would cool it and melt pretty quickly, leaving it diluted...) Now, i have most things undiluted with no ice in a snifter ($5 'wild turkey rare breed' one from the bourbon festival last year)... When not using the snifter i like to use these glasses from a jim beam black gift set... They have a nice heavy bottom, yet they aren't too big...

I prefer to have the water and the bourbon seperately... I hardly ever add any water to my bourbon, I usually drink the bourbon slowly, (to 'savor' it more, altho i have to hear about it from my friend who is usually on his second or third before i am done with my first...)