Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Hirsch Selection American Whiskey 20

Ah, now I see. Many thanks!
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Advanced Taster

Yeah, I should've been more specific. It actually says on the label "aged in used bourbon barrels"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby K View Post
    Yeah, I should've been more specific. It actually says on the label "aged in used bourbon barrels"
    Then it is not bourbon by definition.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Then it is not bourbon by definition.
    ... and neither is any of that other finished stuff and masterpieces etc.?

Sorry couldn't resist.

Slightly different issue. Something aged in used cooperage is not and never has been bourbon. Something finished is bourbon that then has something else done to it which, in the minds of some, separates it from its bourbon-ness. Can you un-bourbon something? That's the philosophical quandary. Something that is not, never was and never will be bourbon is an easier call.

I couldn't resist either.

Taster

Good point, Chuck. In my view, finishing obviously doesn't jibe well with the "imparting flavors" lingo in the definition.

Most of the federal regulations are about truth in labeling. You can make anything you want, as long as you label it accurately. The true description of something like the Woodford Reserve Sonoma Cutrer is "bourbon whiskey finished in Chardonnay casks," which is how it's labeled.

Taster

Again, point well taken and you did say most of the Fed regulations, that I can get behind. From more of a reverse angle though, stipulating recipe requirements (grain percentages) wood types, char requirements and barrel entry guidelines goes a bit further than enforcing label integrity, imho.

It's probably my lone view but I tend to find finishing going astray of the initial integrities put in place. For example, I don't believe I've seen an accurate description of what exactly constitutes finishing and what the process if any entails other than putting spirit into a different barrel before dumping / bottling. There is no time frame or other enforcements involved so far as I've paid attention (which I admit NOT much).

I may be way off here in assuming this but could I not tomorrow take a empty barrel of choice - pour the last third of a bottle of Hennessey in it... let the Hennessey sit in the barrel a few days... then crack open a barrel of 10 year old bourbon and pour the contents into the Hennessey stained barrel and immidiately take out an add for my new cognac *FINISHED* bourbon product? Hell I might even get creative or carried away and use some sugar-maple charcoal to filter the Hennessey before dumping it in the barrel ...this way we could make a cool play on words and call it Tennessey Whisky.

Just a gut feeling, but something tells me the original language in the federal regulations would have contained guidelines to avoid this discussion had it been thought of or a topic at the time of introduction.

The enforcement is whether or not the consumer buys it. I like the idea that the government doesn't tell you what you have to make or how you have to make it, they just make you be honest about it. As government goes, I like it like that.

I had a bottle of this stuff on Saturday night with my buddy Patrick. We have tried every Whiskey out there, and this is one hell of a great whiskey. If you can grab a bottle do it.