Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Is OGD 114 going away?

When I went to pick up a bottle of OGD 114 recently, I was surprised to see a lone one on the shelf. When I asked the clerk (admitedly not the best source of accurate information) he said, "That's it, we can't order any more." I've since noticed similarly short supplies at other stores.

My e-mail inquiry to Beam produced the usual non-response ---- "thanks for your e-mail regarding our products, blah, blah, etc."

I don't want to spread rumors or start a panic but has anyone else heard anything like this? OGD 114 is one of my favorite pours and I'm wondering if I should start bunkering some. Please tell me it isn't true...
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Is OGD 114 going away?

I haven't heard anything, but Beam is as tight-lipped about that sort of thing as the other producers are open, so it's hard to say. Old Grand-Dad in general is not a priority brand for them and may be dying from simple neglect. You won't find anything on their largely information-free web site. Considering how tight bourbon supplies are right now, selling a fairly inexpensive 114 proof bourbon may not seem like the best use of that whiskey.

Enthusiast

I've noticed the same thing. I think I even mentioned it in a previous thread about 9 months ago. I haven't seen a bottle of this in New Hampshire or central Massachusetts for at least a year or so. Too bad really as it's quite good, for now I'll stick with the BIB until the 114 makes a comeback.

Chris

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I hope it ain't so. There aren't many bourbons out there that I would bunker in quantity if I knew they were going away. Just so many other great choices still around. BUT, this is one that I definately would stock up on. It just has such a distinctive taste to me. I have likened it to the burnt corner of brownies in the pan. A very good bourbon at a terrific price. Any other info that anyone can provide would surely be appreciated.

JOE

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I hope it ain't so. There aren't many bourbons out there that I would bunker in quantity if I knew they were going away. Just so many other great choices still around. BUT, this is one that I definately would stock up on. It just has such a distinctive taste to me. I have likened it to the burnt corner of brownies in the pan. A very good bourbon at a terrific price. Any other info that anyone can provide would surely be appreciated.

JOE
    I agree with you Joe. The shelf was full at my local Bevmo so hopefully it is just a minor shortage in certain areas...
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Apprentice

I hope it doesn't go away. I haven't tried it yet.

It may not be the producer. It could be that certain distributors are discontinuing it in their distribution areas, so it might be going away in one or more markets but not everywhere.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    It may not be the producer. It could be that certain distributors are discontinuing it in their distribution areas, so it might be going away in one or more markets but not everywhere.
    Chuck, I understand your point, but in Northern KENTUCKY?
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Have you asked anybody, beyond the store clerk?

Guru

I asked clerks at several stores and got similar answers ... again not necessarily the best standard of reliability. Next time I'm in Cork & Bottle or Party Source I'll check with their sprits experts.
    John B