Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bourbon drunk by vietnam soldiers

Question from a FNG: my uncle served in Vietnam and has commented about the American bourbon (though it may have been whisky) to be had at the PX: it was sold fairly cheap, but he said it was good. He cannot remember the name of it and has looked for it but never found it. We were wondering if anyone has any idea what it was...any brands to pass along from their experiences? It would be much appreciated.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: Bourbon drunk by vietnam soldiers

I was told by people that went there their choices were Jim Beam and Barton.
    I do know that Beam ran full tilt during that era.
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Guru

So then it could be Barton that his Uncle was drinking since he's looked and can't find it, because Beam is everywhere.

So otis60 where have you looked? Barton, I do not think, but I could be wrong is not widely available or I should say is not everywhere.
    I put a pic below so you can see the labels, but these are new labels ofcourse.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ovh

thank you for the photos!

i will run these by him...i only know that he thought the name more exotic than Beam or Bartons.

thanks again

Virtuoso

I've seen military-specific labels on base, I think they were an HH product. Don't know if these were around during Vietnam.

I never got a photo, but I bet Bettye Jo has seen a bunch of mil-spec labels in the label room.

Surely someone on this forum can shop on base - what's available nowadays?

Roger

Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Quite a bit of "Military Special"...the actual name.

There "used" to be a spot (in the book) for a "no face" label. It was shipped out that way but that was years ago.
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Virtuoso

That's funny, I was talking to my dad a few weeks back and told him I picked up a bottle of Old Grad Dad Bonded. He laughed for a second and said while in Vietnam he turned 19 and drank a bottle for his birthday! Drank so much he spent 3 days in the infirmary, they thought he had malaria.
    That might be one of a hand full of times I've heard him comment on his 2 terms over there !
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

This probably is of no help due to timing, but my dad told me that while he was in the Army in Japan during the occupation, they used to get Green River Whiskey by the boatload. I believe it's a blend. Maybe, still left over 20+ yrs later?

JOE

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by boone View Post
    Quite a bit of "Military Special"...the actual name.
    I drank a lot of Military Special in the old days. It was cheap and I was poor. Yes, it was terrible.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur

I hate to throw a damper in the works, but I flew my first combat mission in 1964 and my last in 1972. Granted, I flew most of my missions from Thailand, but I was in Viet Nam TDY many times and I never saw hard liquor for sale at any of the bases, although I seem to remember that it could be purchased by the drink at the Officers Club. When I was on C-130s out of Taiwan I used to take an A-3 bag full of the cheapest hooch I could find (Hiram Walker Imperial, Dark Eyes Vodka, etc.) at the NEX and use it for trade goods at forward bases (because we were TDY, we weren't issued jungle fatigues, C rations, LRPRS, etc.). I wonder if he got it on the local economy? If so it could be anything, including empty club bottles filled with god knows what and re sealed.

Stu