Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Crown Royal Cask No. 16

Finally got my own bottle of this and can apply a more studied approach (versus the sips I had earlier at Whisky Live in Toronto).

First, it looks good: it has a deep brown, well-knit appearance.

Second, it tastes very good: there is a typical Canadian whisky undertone but smoothed down and enhanced by the cognac from the ex-cognac cask it was finished in. The effect is to give it an orangey taste, almost as if it was a luxury version of Grand Marnier.

I like it a lot and have already pegged it for personal use: late at night, never watered, never iced.

Proves that an old dog can have new tricks (the whisky, I mean).

Gary

Enthusiast

Re: Crown Royal Cask No. 16

Interesting. I just tried it tonight, and it had most of the benchmarks of the CR brand character (silky smoothness, and sweetness). It also had the taste of plums (!?!) which I found...confusing, as I've never had plum flavours in my whisky.

I think that plumminess is from the cognac cask. I got some orange too altough it tastes a bit different every time I try it. A nice effort, I like it.

Gary

Guru

Cracked open a bottle yesterday with a friend who is a big Crown fan:

Definitely Crown at its core but definitely different... brandy / cognac notes are clearly present at the finish. I liked it much more than my friend since it made the Crown more interesting (I find regular Crown remarkedly unexciting.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Apprentice

I've read from others this is very good stuff if a bit more expensive. Where in the local NKY area did you get yours and how much if I may ask?
    Dave

You're not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holdin' on.-Joe E. Lewis

You can get it at Old Time Liquors on Bardstown Road, Louisville, cost, $100 - what it costs in Canada, so a good deal for Americans. It is in the glass cabinet along the right side after you walk in.

It is an excellent product, I get a persistent orange note in my tastings, not sure where it comes from.

Gary

Guru

Also available at Party Source and COrk N' Bottle. Around $80, if my memory is correct.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Excellent price.

I have a vatting of CR's from different eras (including some XR and Special Reserve) and will add some 1970's Courvoisier VSOP to see if I can equal or exceed the palate of CR Cask No. 16, I think I have my work cut out for me.

Any suggestions on how much cognac to add to the CR?

Gary

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    Also available at Party Source and COrk N' Bottle. Around $80, if my memory is correct.
    Thanks, that's where I was thinking I would try. Maybe my other whisky buddies will want to buy one together. And of course drink it together! It seems the consensus is this is a good pour. It is cheaper than going out and we get to drink what we want, not what the bar has. If the bar has what I really want I am probably gonna pay for it.
    Dave

You're not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holdin' on.-Joe E. Lewis

I am sampling the CR Cask No. 16 on its own, after dinner. (I never did do the emulation I intended: I did prepare the base - various CRs and other Canadian whiskies - but added bourbons and straight ryes to them and stopped there. It is very good but I am not sure Cognac would improve it).

The CR Cask 16 is good but I think it could be better. There is a persistent, "orange wine" taste to it that makes me wonder if a blending agent of some kind was added. The brandy taste is there but overlaid by the orange notes, and under that is the recognizable CR taste (dry, oaky).

A nice dram but I would have made it heavier and sweeter. It would benefit from some sweet old bourbon in particular, IMO. The finish is a little lacking, and the body. It is not bad by any means but in comparison to, say, Wiser's Very Old, it has a way to go. The Forty Creek whiskies too (any of them) offer more taste for much less money, IMO.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-23-2008 at 20:17.