Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Crown Royal Cask No. 16

Just a follow-up to say that the regular Crown Royal can't be beat for expressing the essence of the Canadian style, at a fair price. Just the regular version is fine although the Special Reserve version is good too (it has a little more taste, seemingly of older whiskies).

Sometimes the regular expression of something expresses its character the best.

It is good to see though experimentation with extensions such as Cask No. 16, since it widens choice and offers the possibility to create a new standard.

It would be nice to try a CR finished in a barrel that had held a well-aged, rich sweet bourbon or straight rye. Or do that plus add more bourbon and rye to the base than it now contains.

Some time ago I added a splash of Beam Black to regular CR and found it excellent. The drink was richer and deeper but still Canadian in style.

Gary

Connoisseur

I have been playing with vatting Canadians and bourbons of late, owing to some overzealous purchases of CC12 and CR Special Reserve almost a year ago. I have tasted the Cask 16 and wanted something similar but more intense and rich, and after reading Gary's last post in this thread, here's what I concocted:

275mL Crown Royal
    100mL Crown Special Reserve
    100mL Beam Black
    100mL OO
    100mL Knob Creek
    50mL Lot 40
    25mL Larressingle VSOP Armagnac

This blend has plenty of old whiskey, is quite high in terms of its straight whiskey component, and using Corby and Beam in concert to support the Crown profile added some nice wooded notes. Young whiskey and cracked grain come through from the two ryes. I used OO because I wanted to keep the Beam house involved, but WT might be better owing to its proof and assertive profile. The armagnac is easily detected, but it doesn't overcome the whiskey flavor; I might use something less expensive in the future, but that's what I had on hand.

One can make some very nice sipping whiskeys with good rye profiles from a combination of inexpensive bourbons and inexpensive Canadians. This is not such a blend, as the ingredients are a bit pricier, but the same balance could be achieved in a younger blend by using, say, CC12 or Seagram's VO Gold for the entire Canadian component. Gary, your posts on blending have taught me a lot, and I find this to be one of the more gratifying components of my whiskey hobby at this juncture. I love tasting new things and buying dusty bottles, but I can make a huge array of flavors with what I already have on hand or what I can buy cheaply, and the creative component is a lot of fun.

Regards,

Thanks for the kind remarks and your essay sounds VERY good, I'd love to try it!

Gary

Connoisseur

Well, Gary, I can't get to KBF (again), but it's for a good reason: our first child is due Sept. 11. So...if I ever make it, I'll whip up a fresh batch, but in the meantime, I'm betting you have most of the components of this around...

Incidentally, I've been really working on getting something as smooth and drinkable as plain old CR from my own blending. I've gotten richer, deeper blends, but nothing so smooth and immediately appealing to the whiskey novice while still being satisfying for a connoisseur. Really an unbelievable whiskey for its style.
    Crown, Forty Creek, Teacher's, and especially Famous Grouse leave me in absolute awe of the master blenders responsible for those consistently excellent, complex profiles.

Regards,

I agree. but it's doable. I'd try using a less expensive Canadian that is around 12 years old (e.g. Gibson's, there are others) and adding a bit of an older bourbon or rye or more than one. It may work.

gary

Connoisseur

Gary, thanks. We don't get Gibson's down here, but maybe if I start from Forty Creek, which shows its oak stylishly, I could do something. I know Forty Creek is not as old - I think I've read that there's a 5-year-old component in the blend frequently - but the oak influence edges toward bourbon-like to me. It would certainly be different from what I have been trying. I normally drink Forty Creek neat with dessert (or as dessert); that hints to me that it would work as a base.

Regards,

Forty Creek might work (certainly you could make a great blend with it, valid on its own merits if need be). But there must be other Canadians available there, say the 10 year old CC or the 12, something like that. Or any brand really that is around 10 years old. CR is a minimum of 10 years old I understand. Its keynotes are an oaky taste, so I'd add any woody bourbon that could impart that - Weller 107, say (I believe Weller 107 may be 9-10 years old and all-Louisville distilled because last year a member of the Louisville Bourbon Society gave me a special bottling done for that group, it said on it, 9 years old, distilled at DSP 1. So even after the sale by UDV of the brand, I wonder if the drink was still distilled there under contract, because that would mean it was a 1998 distillate (two years after the sale of the distillery to HH and as many years at least after the sale of the Weller name to BT, but I digress)). Or maybe Forty Creek, CC 10 years or 12 and some of that Weller 107 or any other older bourbon or rye or more than one.

Gary

Connoisseur

Ah, CC10 I have not tried for blending. It's not so rich as the 12, lacking some of the vanilla while still having plenty of oak. Hmm...I like the Weller 107, and then maybe a lower-proof well-aged rye like Russell's Reserve Rye to keep the proof in range for novice drinkers. Another bourbon that I think could do good things in this type of blend is Ezra B 12, which is very drinkable at its proof and provides a traditional high-rye profile. It's not too pricey, either, which is to its advantage for experimentation. Thanks for the ideas, Gary.

Regards,

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    So even after the sale by UDV of the brand, I wonder if the drink was still distilled there under contract, because that would mean it was a 1998 distillate (two years after the sale of the distillery to HH and as many years at least after the sale of the Weller name to BT, but I digress)). Gary
    Gary,
    the sale of Bernheim to HH was in 1999, the same time they sold the labels to the different distilleries. HH had their distillery burn in 1996, maybe that was what you were thinking of?

When BT bought the label for Weller...I am sure they were allowed to supply that label for a yr or so with bourbon from Bernheim stocks.

The blending talk has been very interesting, so far. Some of the other Canadians in Texas are: Tangle Ridge, Wisers, G and W, Black Velvet, C. Mist, CC, VO, and a range of bottom shelfers.

Jeff Mo.

Yes Jeff, thanks for the correction, I was writing too hastily.

Fire in '96, purchase of Bernheim in '99 and sale around then of Weller label to BT.

So the 9 year Weller 107 of last year I mentioned was distilled before said sales.

But again, any distilled in '99 before sale, if still sold at 9 years, would be from Bernheim in 2008 that is. And as you say, maybe production continued after '99 for a time anyway.

My point is, Weller 107 bought now may be at least 9 years old.

Gary