Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Crown Royal Cask No. 16

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Yes Jeff, thanks for the correction, I was writing too hastily.

Fire in '96, purchase of Bernheim in '99 and sale around then of Weller label to BT.

So the 9 year Weller 107 of last year I mentioned was distilled before said sales.

But again, any distilled in '99 before sale, if still sold at 9 years, would be from Bernheim in 2008 that is. And as you say, maybe production continued after '99 for a time anyway.

My point is, Weller 107 bought now may be at least 9 years old.

Gary
    We might be veering a bit off topic at this point, but I guess I should point out that even the young Wellers, but the 12yo as well, are in short supply right now...I had to hit 2 places to find even a smaller bottle of the SR for my tasting notes...
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Disciple

Bring your shopping on to Texas. There is plenty of Weller at about every store I have been in...for the last few months. Every label and plenty of them.

Jeff Mo.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mozilla View Post
    Bring your shopping on to Texas. There is plenty of Weller at about every store I have been in...for the last few months. Every label and plenty of them.
    Centennials?

Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Ti DOH!

Disciple

Sorry E, current production only.

Jeff Mo.

Connoisseur

Well, a couple of months since the exchange upthread between Gary and I, here's the blend I've settled on as a house pour for the Canadian whiskey fan (and the bourbon fan looking to be surprised):

275mL Canadian Club 12
    110mL Beam Black
    100mL Evan Williams Single Barrel 1998
    100mL Russell's Reserve Rye
    100mL Elijah Craig 12
    50mL Beam rye
    15mL Larressingle VSOP Armagnac

These are all items I can find for under $23/fifth, except for the armagnac. The earlier use of Lot 40, I found, was adding pot still character even in small quantities and getting in the way of the grain expression, which is what I find Canadian whiskey to be about. The Beam rye expresses small grains clearly and with minimal oak influence. The oak in the other products - I mostly adhered to the 10-year minimum age of Crown Royal - compensates for Beam rye's youth, and the use of products from various bourbon "houses" doesn't change the unity of flavor; Beam and the HH stuff are kissing cousins anyway, and Russell's Reserve Rye is a well-melded, well-aged straight rye that has mint and earth in it to pick up those components in the bourbons used. The armagnac grabs onto the slight fruitiness of Beam rye and clear fruitiness of Beam black and thus becomes the glue, so to speak, that holds things together.

I'd put this blend up against Crown for quality, and while it's not identical in flavor, it certainly has something in common with CR and CR Cask 16 (less so with Special Reserve).

I'm trying to avoid many new whiskey purchases, though I make some, and playing with components already on hand has proven a worthy diversionary tactic and has yielded some terrific results. Let the vatting fun continue.

Regards,

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Very interesting Tim, I rather suspect your blend trumps CR, of course you are using a majority of straight whiskeys (which I think CR does not do). A fascinating essay, well-thought out, and I don't doubt its quality.

Gary