Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Taster

Re: Today at Binny's

Quote Originally Posted by NickAtMartinis View Post
    Has anyone tried this yet. Curious to know.
    I tried it for the first time today matter of fact. Nothing conclusive but from the limited taste, honestly, I could tell it was Heaven Hill whiskey blind.

Too bad I was told and saw what it was upfront.

Connoisseur

I called the Binny's in Highland Park because it's not TOO far from where I work and the Irish accent guy who answers the phone said he didn't have any yet. I called the Buffalo Grove store and he said he had 12 bottles of "each." I'm assuming small batch and single barrel.
    Great info. I don't understand why HP didn't get any. I also don't understand not being told that another store has it when you call. Anyway, I called BG today and they had 6 bottles of each. Now they have 3 Single Barrel and 4 Small Batch. I'm a happy camper. Welcome to Ill, 4R!

Well, a decent bourbon-stocked liquor store in no-nothin' Spring Hill, TN has a mixed case of the single barrel, small batch and yellow label because the then-owner (changed hands last week) had the good sense to ask his employee his opinion about getting it. Had to wait a week because stock ran out, but it is currently available. I've seen it on several other stores' shelves, as well, though not universally. Many folks still just don't know what it is.
    Wise shoppers in Spring Hill will.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by NickAtMartinis View Post
    Has anyone tried this yet. Curious to know.
    Yep:
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...56&postcount=1
    Tim

Taster

I bet straightbourbon.com is (almost) singlehandedly responsible for depleting the Four Roses stocks in Chicagoland! Be it through purchases for our bunkers or recommendations to others. On Friday I informed a co-worker who's dad loves bourbon to get to the Buffalo Grove Binny's (she lives in Arlington Heights and happened to be working from home that day) and grab some before it's gone! Good thing she did because I doubt the bottles survived the weekend. Coincidentally, she works in HR

Connoisseur

As MikeDS said:
    I bet straightbourbon.com is (almost) singlehandedly responsible for depleting the Four Roses stocks in Chicagoland! Be it through purchases for our bunkers or recommendations to others.
    Very likely true. I jumped on the info. Hope your friend got some 4R for her dad; I did leave some. I'm gonna give a bottle to a friend who tasted it with me in NYC at Bluesmoke.

Next choice(?) will be whether or not to get the Yellow Label if HP gets it. I'm liking the SB and the SB.

Just as an FYI, Binny's on Grand has the BTAC on the shelf today (didn't see the Saz 18 though) and also PVW 15.

Cheers
    JD

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post

Thanks, Tim. Good tasting notes. How do you do it?!

Anyway, based on what you said, for the money, I think I'll stay away. Too many other good bourbons out there at a much lower price.

Connoisseur

Sam's in Chicago had about a dozen each of Four Roses Small Batch and Single Barrel. No yellow label. Go forth and empty the shelves, SB.comers!

Enthusiast

Save some for me. I had to drive by the Buffalo Grove store today. I car pooled down to Itasca with my boss and could make the stop. But I'll have a chance to pick some up in December. Thanks Tim
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain