Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Russell's Reserve Rye

I would agree with Mike's take on this. I also found it to be rather "middling" in it's profile. Actually, had a difficult time believing it was a straight rye. From nose to finish, I just found it to plod along, and not delivering any of the spiciness, boldness and distinction that many of the other ryes deliver. And, when I drink rye, I want distinction. Middle of the road is not a place for rye, IMO. It was $26.99 at Cork n Bottle in Covington. For that money, I'd have to go with the Baby Saz every time.

JOE

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I would agree with Mike's take on this.
    Yeah!!

I wonder if this is on purpose, a 'tamed' down rye for the masses, ala the mainstreaming of Russell's Reserve bourbon. RR for the everyman, original for the man who knows...
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Guru

Thanks guys. You saved me some money.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    OK, someone has to break up this love fest and be cranky.
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I would agree with Mike's take on this. I also found it to be rather "middling" in it's profile. Actually, had a difficult time believing it was a straight rye. From nose to finish, I just found it to plod along, and not delivering any of the spiciness, boldness and distinction that many of the other ryes deliver. And, when I drink rye, I want distinction. Middle of the road is not a place for rye, IMO. It was $26.99 at Cork n Bottle in Covington. For that money, I'd have to go with the Baby Saz every time.
    Yeah!!

I wonder if this is on purpose, a 'tamed' down rye for the masses, ala the mainstreaming of Russell's Reserve bourbon. RR for the everyman, original for the man who knows...
    Ouch, cranky is right

Well, I thought it was very good and showed enough signs of both but not too much of either. I guess I was tired of the altogether young or old as dirt Ryes and wanted something in the middle.

To each their own... That said, I did NOT buy a bottle while in Kentucky.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    Well, I thought it was very good and showed enough signs of both but not too much of either. I guess I was tired of the altogether young or old as dirt Ryes and wanted something in the middle.
    Fair enough. It sounds like we are actually in agreement, while offering different opinions based on personal preference. I don't want to discourage anyone from trying or buying it. A variety of opinions is always helpful in getting a feel for something. What doesn't appeal to me will be perfect for someone else.

I also agree that we desparately need a middle aged rye. I applaud the attempt, I just don't think anyone has gotten it right yet.

Cheers!
    Last edited by MikeK; 11-11-2007 at 19:57.
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Disciple

I applaud the attempt, I just don't think anyone has gotten it right yet.

Cheers!
    Well Mike I have tasted at least 2 middle age ryes that really have hit the spot for me. Unfortunately they are not possible to get anymore here. Rittenhouse 10 Y BIB (sold out) and old st Nick winter rye that are 9 years (sold out here but at least as I think still available in Japan). The later is one of the best whiskeys I have ever had. And what about Handy? That one seems to be a favourite among many members here.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Enthusiast

Handy is a nice rye, agreed. Another I thought of, but have never tried is some original VWFRR, back when it actually was 13 years old.

Interestingly, a few weeks back I mixed some baby-Saz and regular Saz in a glass to see if I could vat a decent middle aged rye. The result was certainly OK, but not as good as either of the ingredients.
    Mike

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The positioning of the two lines at Wild Turkey seems to be to leave the Wild Turkey brand more traditional, 101 proof and higher (ignore the 80 proof, they do), and keep their super-premium stuff under the Turkey nameplate.

The Russell's Reserve brand is being used to appeal to entry level straight whiskey drinkers, younger people who are maybe coming to whiskey from vodka, or coming to straight whiskey from Jack & Coke, and the like. The proof, the profile and the price all tell me it's positioned in the same segment as Maker's, Woodford, Beam Black, Knob Creek, Four Roses Small Batch, Ridgemont 1792, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Bulleit, and Eagle Rare 10-year-old.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    ....The Russell's Reserve brand is being used to appeal to entry level straight whiskey drinkers, younger people who are maybe coming to whiskey from vodka, or coming to straight whiskey from Jack & Coke, and the like. The proof, the profile and the price all tell me it's positioned in the same segment as Maker's, Woodford, Beam Black, Knob Creek, Four Roses Small Batch, Ridgemont 1792, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Bulleit, and Eagle Rare 10-year-old.
    This begs the question what negative image do young drinkers have of Wild Turkey. Admittedly, WT does have a certain "bad ass" image continually perpetuated amongst the young crowd but at the same time the brand has always stood for quality. Is it loosing its "quality image" among the younger set?

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    This begs the question what negative image do young drinkers have of Wild Turkey. Admittedly, WT does have a certain "bad ass" image continually perpetuated amongst the young crowd but at the same time the brand has always stood for quality. Is it loosing its "quality image" among the younger set?
    Brad, I think your answer as to what the younger set thinks, lies in the "What planet do we live on?" thread. I don't think the name "Wild Turkey" fits with the image they're looking for. And, that demographic cares alot about image.

JOE