Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

Antique Collection - What to buy/not to buy?

Howdy gang.

Who here has tasted the entire 2007 AC? Are there any duds from this release ('05 WLW comes to mind), and are there any real gems (of course there are!)?
    I bought some '07 Handy last week, and can't say I'm disappointed. I still have some '06 Stagg and I guess am basically wondering what should be my next purchase.

Money's tight or else I would buy and try them all for myself.

Cheers!
    Jeff

Guru

Re: Antique Collection - What to buy/not to buy?

I tasted the entire 2007 BTAC at the Philadelphia Whiskeyfest. There ain't a bummer in the bunch, so to speak. I liked them all, including the ER-17.
    What have I purchased? Everything except the ER-17.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by JRomain View Post
    Howdy gang.

Who here has tasted the entire 2007 AC? Are there any duds from this release ('05 WLW comes to mind), and are there any real gems (of course there are!)?
    I bought some '07 Handy last week, and can't say I'm disappointed. I still have some '06 Stagg and I guess am basically wondering what should be my next purchase.

Money's tight or else I would buy and try them all for myself.

Cheers!
    Jeff

Here's the order in which I would put them, from best to worst:

Stagg
    ER
    Saz
    WLW

It's all a matter of own individual tastes, but for me I thought the WLW was the weakest of the bunch. I'm a big Weller Antique fan and I'd rather save the $35+ and buy the Weller Antique 107 instead. But, again, I hate to sway you in one direction or another.

As far as my top two are concerned, the Stagg and ER are very close, more like 1A and 1B.
    Last edited by NickAtMartinis; 11-09-2007 at 13:19.

Virtuoso

I would agree with Mark. I did sip on some Handy, night before last and it to was Stellar!

If I was adding one or two bottles I'd get a Stagg you can never go wrong with that. Then I'd flip a coin for the ER 17 yr. or some Saz 18 yr., if the Saz is hard to find in CO go with the ER.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Enthusiast

(FURTHER ADVENTURES OF THE USS PHISCHY)
    PING!

Sonar: "Captain! We've got a return ping! BTAC Fleet is spotted in Colorado!"

Captain E: "Great Sonar...if you can't remember we're a submarine. Denver is 5,000 ft ABOVE sealevel. AS this sub has neither wheels nor wings I'm not going to make the raiding party walk 1,800 miles. Unless you're volunteering...."

Sonar: "Aye aye sir, But no...that's a bit far."

Captain E: "Keep up the search, the fleet seems to be moving further west. We'll get them eventually."

(STAY TUNED....)
    The avatar is me as a little tyke.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Phischy View Post
    PING!

Captain E: "Great Sonar...if you can't remember we're a submarine. Denver is 5,000 ft ABOVE sealevel. AS this sub has neither wheels nor wings I'm not going to make the raiding party walk 1,800 miles. Unless you're volunteering...."

Captain E: "Keep up the search, the fleet seems to be moving further west. We'll get them eventually."

(STAY TUNED....)
    Now THAT'S entertainment.

I have only tasted the GTS and the WLW so far. Nod goes to the GTS. I have the Saz 18 unopened (probably crack this weekend). Have not purchased the ER or Handy to date.
    Ron

ECONOMY, n. Purchasing the barrel of whiskey that you do not need for the price of the cow you cannot afford”
    - Ambrose Bierce

Enthusiast

I'm easily bored, and I have an active imagination. And I'm a pirate...garrrr.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Phischy View Post
    PING!

(STAY TUNED....)

Keep your ear to the ground, err, water that is.

Advanced Taster

Talked with Trayce at Hi-Times yesterday and he said the ETA for the BTAC collection is a week from today. 'Bout time it makes its way out west!!!

Enthusiast

Comms: "Captain! Just got word from C.O.M.P.A.C. SUB ALLIANCE BBQ HQ! They're reporting that the BTAC is westbound...a week out!"

Captain E: "Excellent Mister Jones. Put me on the squawk box."

"ATTENTION ALL HANDS. THIS IS THE CAPTAIN SPEAKING. AT LONG LAST THE BTAC FLEET IS NEARING OUR GRASP. SHARPEN YOUR SWORDS AND KNIVES, RIG THE BOAT TO TAKE ON CARGO. DOUBLE RATIONS AND DOUBLE GROG TO GET THIS TUB SHIPSHAPE! SOON BOYS, SOON!"

Captain E: "Mechanics: make sure all the batteries are working. Weapons: run a check list against all grapples, the deck gun and make sure we've got fish in the tubes. If we can't take her, we'll make sure no one else does. Sonar: keep your ears open lest there been anyone in our wake trying to snake our bounty! Navagator: plot an intercept course, get us into a position a day out to get the jump on 'em!"

*Crew of the USS Phischy is working double time, a scrambling of activity. Sparks fly from a grinder, the low glow of a welding torch in the back ground, weapons crews ready the boat for action and the old man calmly sews a patch on old Davy Jones*

(STAY TUNED! WILL THE USS PHISCHY AQUIRE ITS BOUNTY? WILL THE CAPTAIN GO MAD? TUNE IN NEXT WEEK!)