Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Antique Collection - What to buy/not to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Phischy View Post
    I was sipping Larue and Stagg last night. I do not care for the Larue...I just find it boring and too hot. Stagg is of course stronger but there's more going on.
    I too had them back to back and liked the stagg better (or is that, liked the weller less?). I think what brings the weller down in this instance is having it immediately compared to the Stagg. I think in a vacuum I would find it quite good.
    Ron

ECONOMY, n. Purchasing the barrel of whiskey that you do not need for the price of the cow you cannot afford”
    - Ambrose Bierce

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    The difficulty in getting excited about this year's BTAC's is that they are 1) not only competing with what's out there in the current marketplace, but are up against previous BTAC's and 2) are up against the "collections" many members here have in their bunkers. If their only competition for accolades were current bottlings, we'd all be pretty excited by the variety of flavors and proofs offered by the 2007 BTAC's. But I (and many here) have Staggs going back to 2002, Saz 18s back to 2000, extensive bunkers, etc, etc. And that's tough competition!

When Stagg arrived in 2002, we didn't know the future of BTACs and many of us stocked up on any we could find in 2002, 2003 and 2004. Now that its clear this will be a regular bottling (and occasionally multiple releases in a year like the 2005 Staggs), I don't feel the need to grab each and every BTAC upon release. I've tried this years Stagg and W Larue and find them both fine, but neither screams "buy all you can" in the context that I probably already have a lifetime supply of Stagg in the bunker and prefer ORVW 15/107 and other wheaters to the W Larue Wellers.

I know this doesn't exactly answer "what to buy", but I'll generalize by saying that if you're new to the BTAC's....by all means grab a few. If you have a bunker with plenty of previous releases.....then taste before you buy.....unless you're keeping a vertical collection intact (I'm doing that with Stagg only).

Randy
    Randy,

I hear you and agree up to a point.

I feel the BTAC is diminishing with quality from year to year. Part of this is probably a reflection of the growing shortage of extra-aged bourbon. I mean, this year's WLW is only ten years old!

Having said that, these are still all seriously good whiskies and I would recommend them (assuming one agrees with the price proposition). Grabbing all you can get? Not me. I'm not much of a "bunkerer". I'll buy what I can drink in a year with an extra bottle or two for trade or as gifts.

Like everything else on this board: to each his own.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Enthusiast

I'll buy one each of the barrel proofs and that's it.
    --Mark

When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

Taster

Not diluting the bourbon does not cost Buffalo Trace enough to justify a super-premium price. I do not want to pay for something which is artificially made scarce. Particularly while there are other producers (Four Roses, Wild Turkey) selling quality bourbon at near optimal proof, without demanding extra cash for the lack of dilution.

That said, I hope to purchase a bottle of Stagg, ER, and Sazerac, while passing on the Handy and Weller.

Perhaps I am wrong, and the Handy and Weller represent barrels selected for exceptional quality?

Connoisseur

Well, I can't speak for the Weller, but damn if the 2007 Handy isn't one of the best whiskeys I've had. Buy it. Period.

Unless you hate rye. Or unless you're going to get mad at me if you don't like it.

Really. Great stuff.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    Well, I can't speak for the Weller, but damn if the 2007 Handy isn't one of the best whiskeys I've had. Buy it. Period.

Unless you hate rye. Or unless you're going to get mad at me if you don't like it.

Really. Great stuff.
    I would most likely enjoy it, but I am already content with the standard Sazerac Rye for $20. Is it that much better?

Enthusiast

I plan on getting Saz 18, Stagg, and Handy. I haven't seen any here in Wisconsin yet. And then all of the 13 yr rye I can get. I also want to stock up on any Four Roses I can get in Chitown. My wife will put the breaks on when she notices how much money I will have spent on whiskey. Shh.... don't clue her into my plan.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Since it is Thanksgiving, the wife agreed that it is special occasion enough to open up one of my 2 freshly bunkered bottles of ’07 William Larue Weller. I didn’t purchase any of the past offerings, so this is a 1st taste for me.

I find it very good for a wheated bourbon (I actually prefer Rye). This is by far the best Weller bourbon available and I have tried all the rest. Very drinkable, sweet, great as an after Thanksgiving dinner drink. I dont find it very stong as I am use to the Winkle Family Rye at 95.6.

Quote Originally Posted by Grain Brain View Post
    It is beyond fantastic. I have only had the Saz 18 and the Handy so far this year, and the Handy is just killer. I tried it neat with the intention of adding water after tasting it full strength, but it was so smooth that I finished the sample without adding water no problem. It is super rich, full bodied and has a greatly balanced spiciness. Definitely a rye fiend's wet dream.
    I bought Stagg and 18 year old Sazerac this year. The Stagg is just magnificent, but I find the finish on the Saz a lot woodier than last year's.

Advanced Taster

I just purchased the Stagg, Weller & Handy. I am on vacation visiting the in-laws this week and couldn't wait to open them up until I got home. All three are excellent with the Stagg being the stand out for me. The Stagg was the tops for me last year as well. IMO the Stagg is a must try for a bourbon drinker.