Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: New Member from Seattle

IIRC, the BTEC Zin was in a case of two, one of each bottle.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Apprentice

I managed to get the last bottle of Handy at the 4th Ave store. I talked to Allen who said that they only called one person, this guy from out of town who keeps emailing Mary. I say, Todd? Yeah, that's him. It shows that persistence pays off.

Interestingly, he wasn't even going to tell me they had any BTAC until I told him I was on the list. Even still, they haven't even started calling people on the list.

I asked if they were going to get any Saz 18. He thought some might come in tomorrow. He asked if I was that guy who's been calling every week. Yes. He sounded a little annoyed with me. Then I asked if he'd prefer if I dropped by in person. He said no. Just call tomorrow. So I will.

Apprentice

I forgot to ask, which bottles did you get Todd? The only other thing the had was the Weller.

Apprentice

Tim & Todd:

I was just over at the 4th Avenue store on Saturday and was told that they weren't going to be getting any of the BTAC. I am not on "the list" so perhaps that had something to do with it. I don't think I have ever seen a bottle of Stagg, Handy or Saz18 in Yakima. When you talk to the folks over here about special orders their eyes get sort of glassy. If either of you guys find Stagg, Handy or Saz18 let me know where you got it. As an alternative I would be happy to joint venture on getting a few cases if it makes more sense to do it that way.

Roger

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by thanson View Post
    It shows that persistence pays off... Interestingly, he wasn't even going to tell me they had any BTAC until I told him I was on the list. Even still, they haven't even started calling people on the list

Maybe I am annoying Mary too? I think that persistence is the only way to find anything. Even with all my contact with Mary, I had requested some Henry Mckenna SB. I never heard from her and happened to stop by the store and see it on the shelf. Oh well, we do what we can.

I forgot to ask, which bottles did you get Todd? The only other thing the had was the Weller.

I picked up a Stagg, a WL Weller and a Handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    ...I don't think I have ever seen a bottle of Stagg, Handy or Saz18 in Yakima. When you talk to the folks over here about special orders their eyes get sort of glassy. If either of you guys find Stagg, Handy or Saz18 let me know where you got it. As an alternative I would be happy to joint venture on getting a few cases if it makes more sense to do it that way. Roger

If I get any good scoop on special orders I will let you all know. I know I can always find guys at work who want it as well, so a case of 12 would not even be to bad if we could do it. I have a couple each of the BTAC now so I will be sure to grab bottles for you guys if I see them.
    I share in your frustration!

By the way Roger, welcome to SB.com. The stores on 4th and 12th are generally the ones with the best over all selection. If there is something you want me to keep my eye out for let me know. Of course I will keep an eye out for the "biggies" (BTAC, Saz, the Van Winkle's). Several other less frequent bottles make there way to the shelves there on occasion so if I see them, I will try and post...

Todd

Apprentice

Thanks for keeping an eye out. I just got back from L.A. where I was able to pick up a couple of Pappys, a 06 Stagg and some Hirsch 16 so I am feeling pretty satisfied right now but I know if I don't move quick on the BTAC it will be gone. It probably already is.

Roger

Apprentice

I was just at the 4th ave store. They have VW15. They also had a few Handys left. I got a Saz18. I was told they only got one case of the Saz18, and it was all spoken for. I tried to get the whole thing, but they'd only let me have 1 bottle. They also seemed to have plenty of ER17. There was no problem grabbing more than 1 bottle of that.

Apprentice

What's a person have to do to get some of this?
    Glad you found out!

For the benefit of the others here, THanson and I ran into each other at the 4th Ave Store today. (I finally got "the call").

THanson: "Oh, are you here for the Sazerac, too?"
    Cornman: "Uh, yeah. By any chance are you on StraightBourbon.com?"

But this episode did clarify for me some things about "what a guy has to do" that I'll pass on FWIW: be persistent and keep asking questions of different staff members.

I finally got my allocation of Saz 18, but was sure interested in getting some more Handy (I only have one!).

I had repeatedly been told over the last weeks that there was no more BTAC of any sort that had not been spoken for, either available now or expected soon. They were going to order more, but that hadn't happened yet and it wouldn't be available for weeks and weeks anyway, etc, etc. Fair enough. But as we checked out, the clerk casually mentioned that there was one bottle of that 'other Sazerac' on the shelf which turned out to be a Handy.

THanson and I squared off and fought nearly to the death. I nearly drove him off with a broken Pisco bottle, but his youth and vigor finally won out over my superior beergut and he cackled off, clutching his prize to the cashier. As I wiped the blood from my face and regained my bearings, I complained about my lost chance at more Handy, only to be interrupted by the Asst Manager, "oh yeah, we have 5 more in back, I'll get you some". I got two. End of my allowance for the year.

These folks at the 4th Ave store do a pretty good job catering to the likes of us, but this isn't the first time that there has been some internal lack of communication.

Keep asking questions. In person is probably better than by phone.
    Cornman