Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2004 and Guru

Liquor sales banned...

I've always known that we have many, many dry counties in Kentucky. Also, there are many wet counties in Kentucky. Lately, we have partial counties...the sale of alcohol by the drink at restaurants is allowed in many "dry" counties.

Now, I see it can be from neighborhood to neighborhood. This link tells of what's going on in Louisville right now. I didn't know this could happen. I've always thought the vote was from county to county.

Dustie finds in that old neighborhood many be a thing of the past.

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?s=7339232
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Re: Liquor sales banned...

Wet and Dry is also precinct by precinct in Texas counties. For example, Dallas remains dry in many areas. IIRC, Harris County (AKA Houston) even has a small dry area.

Randy

Guru

Sad.

I wonder how voters were "misled". I'm only guessing here but I suspect it may have been put to the voters as an anti-crime measure.

When Riverboat gambling was put to a vote here, well not here but up in Moline and Davenport certain religious groups made a huge fuss about what they saw as a tidal wave of crime following on the heals of legalized gambling. You would have thought the Crips or the Bloods were going to set up shop in John Deere's old house.

I guess small town, combined with being the bourbon capital of the world, such things have not been a option I've always voted since I turned legal age. I don't remember ever seeing a wet dry vote Not that it's never happened but not in my liftime registry.

There is a county nearby (Hardin) that has always been dry for as long as I could remember. It seemed that ever chance they could put a "wet vote on the ballot" it was turned down...Till, the big restaurant chains came in...The town was dry but they still built them with bar's inside. That was a clue. Then, another and another big chain restaurant was built...same thing, a big bar was built inside. They could not sell alcohol...

Sure nuff...the next election was was on the ballot. A partial wet option. They now serve "by the drink" in restaurants in Hardin County.

Quote Originally Posted by doubleblank View Post
    Wet and Dry is also precinct by precinct in Texas counties. For example, Dallas remains dry in many areas. IIRC, Harris County (AKA Houston) even has a small dry area.

Randy
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

We had the opposite situation here, Bettye Jo, for many years -- the county where I live has been 'wet' since I moved here, but liquor-by-the-drink didn't come until the arrival of "damnyankees", et al, to work at the GM/Saturn plant, which began production in 1990. The chain restaurants started arriving shortly thereafter, but didn't get in ahead of the change.
    As in Kentucky, more than half of the state's police jurisdictions (there must by a local police department, not just a county sheriff's department, where liquor is sold) are 'dry'. Ironic, isn't it, that in the two states that produce probably 95% of American whiskey, you can't buy a drink in over half of their territory?
    But, you know, I don't have a real problem with it. Local citizens can petition and vote for change, if they want to. I think the closer to home political and social decisions are made, the better. If a locality doesn't want liquor sold there, then it shouldn't be forced on the folks who live there. Conversely, though, I think if I want to order a bottle from Binny's, it shouldn't be anyone's business but mine since I live a location where such transactions occur legally. Alas, not so.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Local option, meaning alcohol sales can be banned down to the voting precinct level, has been in Louisville for a long time. My neighborhood in Crescent Hill was dry, voted that way because of a notorious bar at Frankfort and Stilz. When Dettrich's wanted to open up in the old Crescent Theater, which is right around the corner, they had to put a wet-dry vote on the ballot.

a new twist...

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Local option, meaning alcohol sales can be banned down to the voting precinct level, has been in Louisville for a long time. My neighborhood in Crescent Hill was dry, voted that way because of a notorious bar at Frankfort and Stilz. When Dettrich's wanted to open up in the old Crescent Theater, which is right around the corner, they had to put a wet-dry vote on the ballot.
    Now, you can sample that product before buying the entire bottle.
    "Sampling Permits" will be the new wave.

http://www.kystandard.com/cgi-bin/st...inionEditorial
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by boone View Post
    I've always known that we have many, many dry counties in Kentucky. Also, there are many wet counties in Kentucky. Lately, we have partial counties...the sale of alcohol by the drink at restaurants is allowed in many "dry" counties.

Now, I see it can be from neighborhood to neighborhood. This link tells of what's going on in Louisville right now. I didn't know this could happen. I've always thought the vote was from county to county.

Dustie finds in that old neighborhood many be a thing of the past.

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?s=7339232
    The firm hand of the law has been enforced...

Those precincts are "dry"...

http://www.fox41.com/article/view/16...rticleview.tpl
    Colonel Bettye Jo Boone
    Industrial Maintenance
    Technician/Journeyperson
    Heaven Hill Distilleries
    Bardstown, Kentucky

Disciple

It seems like the liquor laws in this country are a joke. In my area, your not allowed to sell liquor, beer or wine within 1000 feet of a church or school. Recently, I took my kids to Chucky Cheese and guess what, they were selling beer and wine on tap. I guess if you have enough money and grease the right palm, you can do whatever you want. In Akron, Ohio a few years ago, city council enacted an ordinance to ban the sale of malt liquor and 40's in certain areas to try to cut down on crime. Now if I was dead set on raising some hell and all of the sudden my local retailer quite selling 40's but sold 6, 12 and 18 packs off beer, do you really think it would make a difference? I guess they figure malt liquor has magical properties that regular beer doesn't. Or maybe the number 40 is lucky, while multiples of 12 or 22 aren't!

Thomas

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    ... In Akron, Ohio a few years ago, city council enacted an ordinance to ban the sale of malt liquor and 40's in certain areas to try to cut down on crime... Thomas
    Not being a beer drinker I have no idea what makes malt liquor malt liquor. I find the term confusing for two reasons. Isn't all beer made from barley malt and doesn't liquor generally refer to distilled spirits not fermented beverages?

And perhaps more troubling, it sounds like there is perhaps a racial edge to this particular issue akin to the antiquated laws in the Old West that forbade the selling of whiskey to Indians.