Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Jack Danielís is the best-selling whiskey in the world.

Ponder that statement for a moment.

Jack Danielís is the best-selling whiskey in the world.

Look for the qualifier that isn't there.

American.

I'm not sure exactly when it happened, but not long ago Jack Daniel's surpassed Johnnie Walker as the best-selling whiskey in the world.

To all of the people who think whiskey means scotch I say, Jack Danielís is the best-selling whiskey in the world.

To all of the people who say whiskey should be spelled without an "e" I say, Jack Danielís is the best-selling whiskey in the world.

To all of the people who think all American whiskey is bourbon I say, Jack Danielís is the best-selling whiskey in the world.

To all of the people who think American whiskey will always be second fiddle to scotch whiskey I say, Jack Danielís is the best-selling whiskey in the world.

I'm not saying Jack Daniel's is the best whiskey in the world, I'm not saying it is the model for what whiskey should be, I'm not saying everybody else should be like Jack Daniel's. I'm just saying this. Everybody in business is in business to succeed and Jack Danielís is the best-selling whiskey in the world.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Jack Danielís is the best-selling whiskey in the world.

I blame this on the education system. Surely if schools were properly funded something like this would never happen. People should be much better prepared to make choices for themselves and realize that every decision in their life is an important one, and that what they put in their body should really matter.

People should realize that life is short and there are few simple pleasures and a little taste of the finer things in life is something everyone should enjoy. Life is too short to drink swill. You shouldn't reach for the frozen "OJ" when the freshly squeezed is one aisle over. Tang won't do. Ice milk is not ice cream. Velveeta is not a substitute for cheddar. Tofu will never be a replacement for venison.

What a sad commentary on our times. Success measured by sales? Ferrari wouldn't agree, if they did, they would be building Toyotas(the Camry was the best selling car in 2006, after a couple pickup trucks, and is nearly as bland as JD). When asked how many of one of their supercars they expected to build, Ferrari responded "Exactly two less than the market will bear"
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Guru

So Jack Black is on top of the world.
    That is a good thing for the future of bourbon.
    With Jack getting people to accept American whiskey they'll sooner or later try bourbon.
    And those who do try bourbon and want a whiskey for taste and not for a cool image, will stay with bourbon.

You know, that last sentence sounds like something a bourbon snob would say.

,....am I a snob?
    ovh

Disciple

Big congratulations to Brown Forman for this success. It may just recently have passed red Jonnie walker in sales but it has always tasted better even after the shabby dilution campaigns it has been exposed for. And come to think about it. What no age 80 proof bourbon tastes much better or even better than this? HmÖDickel number 8 do but thatís no bourbon.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Connoisseur

does this say something for the crafting of whiskEy? or the mystical art of exponential, accumulative, snowballin' advertising metapsychological sleight of hand and other associative weights and pulleys?

i remember seeing david lee roth at a VH concert back in 1980 slugging JD on stage....the impressions he must have made....and then add the outlaw images from t.v/movies, etc.....snowball. snowball. SNOWBALL...........!

sure, it is the best selling whiskEy to a large, undiscriminating group of drinkers (who may or may not be mostly whiskEy drinkers...)

of course, we know JD is NOT the best selling whiskEy in the world or even the u.s. if the polled batch of folks were serious sippers/connoisseurs...

i wonder what is the best selling whiskEy for that group...?
    HUP!

I like Jack Daniel's okay. It's a decent mixer with (diet) cola, and the Single Barrel certainly can be enjoyed neat. The Silver Select that I sampled (thanks, Randy!) was the best JD I've tasted, but very much Jack Daniel's. Sure, I like a lot of bourbons and ryes better, but that's not to say JD is 'bad'.
    I don't like Jack Daniel's much at its price. It's the same age as Jim Beam white-label, but at a 33%-40% premium. It's younger than Evan Williams black-label, but twice as costly. It drags Maker's Mark around by the nose, because MM has made the deliberate marketing decision to place itself, pricewise, next to the market leader. Thus, we have dual over-priced, young-ish whisk(e)ys instead of two quite palatable, reasonably-priced ones.
    Guess what? Both JD and Maker's can sell all the whiskey they can make. So, they're right, and I'm wrong. (Wish they missed my money.)
    Tim

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by nor02lei View Post
    What no age 80 proof bourbon tastes much better or even better than this?
    Old Fitz Prime. Not the current stuff, but I have some bottles from the 80's & 90's that are very good.

Enthusiast

Good for American whiskey and good for JD, but I'll have another tickle o' Dickel.

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Guess what? Both JD and Maker's can sell all the whiskey they can make. So, they're right, and I'm wrong. (Wish they missed my money.)
    Very well put, Tim.

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhead View Post
    Good for American whiskey and good for JD, but I'll have another tickle o' Dickel.
    Following my gin phase, I think I was on my second bottle of JD when a friend told me he preferred the taste of George Dickel. I bought a bottle of the No. 12 and never gave a second glance to a bottle of JD.

Larry
    I got the St Louis blues, I'm blue as I can get.
    I sent Louis to the liquor store, and he ain't come back yet.
    -Jimmy Johnson, "The Twelve Bar Blues"