Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Jack Danielís is the best-selling whiskey in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by polyamnesia View Post

i remember seeing david lee roth at a VH concert back in 1980 slugging JD on stage....the impressions he must have made....

You don't say...

Connoisseur

Watch my youtube link on the bottom.

Advanced Taster

I have to agree that it is definetely popular.A couple of years ago I went to Germany and Austria to train some German and Austrian Federal Police.
    Before I left I was told to take all of the pints of JD I could carry. Whenever someone asked where I was from and I said Tennessee, 9 out of 10 times the reply was (ahh Jack Daniels). I traded pints of JD for more stuff while I was there. I came home with thousands of dollars in merchandise for a couple of hundred dollars in JD.
    If you go to Europe, I highly recommend you carry some JD.
    When re-arranged, the letters in "whiskey" spell "key wish," those in "spirits" spell "sip it sir," and those in "moonshine" spell "in no homes."

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by brian12069 View Post
    Watch my youtube link on the bottom.
    This was fun to watch, but I didn't like DLR dissin' the Clash, one of my favorite old bands.

I think Budwieser is the best selling beer, but I won't drink that either. I did have the JDSB. The persons that had it, kept it in the freezer. He liked it better that way because it gave it a syrupy body effect. I tried a sip and the body did seem fuller. The taste was of very noticable pepper and fruit. It was ok. Not worth the price IMHO.
    Jamie

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

To revert back to my original point, the reason I find this interesting is that I see it as a rebuke to the whiskey=scotch crowd, that the #1 whiskey in the world is a product of the United States.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    To revert back to my original point, the reason I find this interesting is that I see it as a rebuke to the whiskey=scotch crowd, that the #1 whiskey in the world is a product of the United States.
    I suppose, but I don't know that we should be all that proud of it. I'm not real happy with JD being the face of American whiskey to the world. After all, we have so much better to offer.

It's like being proud that McDonald's is the number one fast food place in the world. It says a lot about our commercial prowess (which is substantial) but not a lot about the quality of our products.

Don't conflate quality and style. There's nothing wrong with the quality of either McDonald's or Jack Daniel's. If I have an quarrel with either, it's with a style or type of food/beverage that doesn't appeal to me. I recently tasted some very peaty scotches that didn't appeal to me. The issue wasn't quality. The quality, in fact, was extraordinary, I just didn't care for the style.

Yeah, just like Mcdonalds coffe. For I don't know how many years their coffe absolutely sucked. They must of finaly noticed that people realy like good coffe, and stopped making that crap, or got tired of the 10 million complaints. As long as JD doesn't call it premium like Budwieser does. It's all marketing. So many people believe that bull it's amazing. Just like politics. Ask a JD drinker what it tastes like and they'll say uh, whiskey? It's our duty to educate them one drink at a time.
    Jamie

Or leave them alone and keep the good stuff to ourselves.