Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Jack Daniel’s is the best-selling whiskey in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by CrashRiley View Post
    ...if you want honest Tennessee whiskey, drink George Dickel. It's still 92 proof...
    Was it ever 92 proof? The current Dickels are 80 proof (black label), 90 (white label), and 86 (Special Barrel Reserve). Nor do I recall a Jack Daniel's at that proof. Its reduction to 86 was from 90.
    Tim

Apprentice

Re: Jack Danielís is the best-selling whiskey in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Was it ever 92 proof? The current Dickels are 80 proof (black label), 90 (white label), and 86 (Special Barrel Reserve). Nor do I recall a Jack Daniel's at that proof. Its reduction to 86 was from 90.
    I beg your pardon. You are correct. 90 proof, not 92.

Maybe age is catching up with me, but I would swear that the Jack Daniels that I was selling back in the early '90's was 92 proof. I could very well be wrong on that, it might only have been 90.

My point though, is that Jack Daniels proof has been reduced twice in the last 15 years, and I think that's a shame. It's like they are turning their back on their own heritage. I'm sure that they would claim that they are "adjusting to the times", but if you are proud of your product, then why compromise?

Virtuoso

While taxes may be a factor, I think a bigger reason to lower proof from 90 to 80 is the 17% increase in inventory without making more whiskey.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The change from 86 to 80 proof drops an extra $17 million a year to the bottom line in tax savings alone, which dwarfs any savings in production costs.

Disciple

I think that George Dickel and Wild Turkey have the same affliction, a seriously outdated website. A web check of Whisky Exchange(London) and Whisky Shoppe(Germany) confirm that Dickel in fact is being sold overseas. If its not export, it must be smuggled contraband. Seriously though, why would a company like Diageo, being a multinational with a large global reach in the scotch and Canadian whiskey business choose not to promote and export Dickel? Then again, they had the bright idea to to shut Dickel down for several years to begin with due to a "oversupply" of whiskey. Maybe their whiskey shortage that resulted in the #8 label being mostly withdrawn from the market was due to some actual export/smuggling!

Thomas

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    I think that George Dickel and Wild Turkey have the same affliction, a seriously outdated website. A web check of Whisky Exchange(London) and Whisky Shoppe(Germany) confirm that Dickel in fact is being sold overseas. If its not export, it must be smuggled contraband. Seriously though, why would a company like Diageo, being a multinational with a large global reach in the scotch and Canadian whiskey business choose not to promote and export Dickel? Then again, they had the bright idea to to shut Dickel down for several years to begin with due to a "oversupply" of whiskey. Maybe their whiskey shortage that resulted in the #8 label being mostly withdrawn from the market was due to some actual export/smuggling!

Thomas
    Dickel has done a good job of updating their site, actually. Even keeping up when the Barrel Select changed bottle shapes..heck I can't find a mention of the #8 anywhere except the faq...which do need to be updated.

As far as the Whisky Exchange, they do a damn good job of getting their hands on bottles that aren't normally available in the UK..Japanese WT Tribute and FR Premium and such. In no way would I use them as a guide of what is distributed in the UK.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Probably more than just "bottled" by Jim Beam, as I assume this was produced before Tennessee repealed its state prohibition.
    As can be seen from this higher quality photo (below) of the back label from the actual eBay page, it was distilled by Bernheim in Distillery No. 1 and bottled at IRS Bonded Distillery No. 46.

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonv View Post
    More than likely it is bourbon from the time after Tennessee went dry (1910) and before prohibition.
    Actually, as can be seen in the photo below of the tax strip, it was bottled in 1939.

There will be some amazing prices if that confiscated JD whiskey in Tennessee gets to market.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "One never knows, do one?" Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Re: Jack Daniel’s is the best-selling whiskey in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffRenner View Post
    ...There will be some amazing prices if that confiscated JD whiskey in Tennessee gets to market.

Jeff
    But could a rare bottle of Jack Daniel's buy you $10,000 worth of votes?! My guess is that confiscated JD whiskey will wind up in the cabinets of influential legislators and/or liquor distributors.
    Make 'em dispose of it publicly, however they do it, I say!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    I think that George Dickel and Wild Turkey have the same affliction, a seriously outdated website.
    I don't know about the Dickel site, but the WT site is quite out of date, like a joke out of date. They still show the old RR 101 bottle, no mention of the new American Spirit nor RR Rye and I think they show something for export, Freedom?, that hasn't been found in a long time meanwhile never even put anything up about Heritage which is now likely extinct.

It is a shame that they don't keep it a little more up to date!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    I don't know about the Dickel site, but the WT site is quite out of date, like a joke out of date. They still show the old RR 101 bottle, no mention of the new American Spirit nor RR Rye and I think they show something for export, Freedom?, that hasn't been found in a long time meanwhile never even put anything up about Heritage which is now likely extinct.

It is a shame that they don't keep it a little more up to date!
    I had a guy at work today asking if we had WTAS. I told him we didn't but I told him where to buy it and told him it was a great bourbon. He them tells me Wild Turkey are releasing something soon called "Freedom".
    I said "Don't count on it mate, it hasn't been around since 2004, which is probably the last time WT updated their website"
    And he thought he knew so much.......

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra