Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM,11/07:Basil Haydens

I'll concur with the remarks of others.
    Ron

ECONOMY, n. Purchasing the barrel of whiskey that you do not need for the price of the cow you cannot afford”
    - Ambrose Bierce

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    Today I picked up some OGD 86 8 yo. How close is that going to be? I'm pretty sure this is ND OGD, so will that make it less like Basil Hayden?
    Does it bear an age statement?

Beam has attempted to duplicate the OGD formula as much as possible, something it didn't do with any other brand it acquired, but the National OGD was made at a different distillery, by different people, and aged at a different location, so it's bound to be different. Also, late National-era OGD, like many bourbons sold in the late 70s and early 80s, was likely significantly older whiskey than normal, due to the glut.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Does it bear an age statement?
    It does! Aged 8 years.

Advanced Taster

BH was the first small batch bourbon I ever purchased. I like it some, but I generally think of it as a scotch-like drink. That's OK, but I can only drink it straight, since it lacks enough proof and distinction to drink on the rocks.

Finally, I think that BH is overpriced relative to other whiskeys, even other JB products. Why spend $21 for 750ml of BH when I can buy a liter of JBB for $18?

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon2 View Post
    ...Why spend $21 for 750ml of BH when I can buy a liter of JBB for $18?
    Jeez! I'd buy it at $21, at least once in a while. Basil Hayden's generally is $38-$40 around here, before tax!
    Tim

Advanced Taster

Come to think of it, I really compare Johnnie Walker Red with BY when asking myself what to drink. But yes, here in Montgomery County, Maryland, we don't have private liquor stores but government-run dispensaries. The difference in price makes up for the limited selection - most of the time. Judge for yourself! - and this is just the stuff on sale!

Connoisseur

BH is one of the worst bourbons I've ever bought. Thin, minimal flavor, over priced and just not what I look for in a pour. However, somebody must like it and so that means more of the other stuff out there for me.
    Illuminati in training

Guru

Solomon2...not sure what you mean by Scotch like...do you mean in flavor profile?

BH, to my taste buds, doesn't remind me Scotch...but...everyone is different.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    BH is one of the worst bourbons I've ever bought. Thin, minimal flavor, over priced and just not what I look for in a pour. However, somebody must like it and so that means more of the other stuff out there for me.

i gotta say, this stuff bored me first time around, but i am on a rampage lately after tasting some Heaven Hill.....and now, i have to say, this thin, overpriced stuff is the medicine i needed!

i would rather pay too much for whiskey that doesn't quite impress than too little for whiskey that scars the tastebuds...!

like others have suggested, up BH to 100 proof....PLEASE. make it bite!
    HUP!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    Today I picked up some OGD 86 8 yo. How close is that going to be? I'm pretty sure this is ND OGD, so will that make it less like Basil Hayden?
    It will be different. I have many bottles of this stuff w/the 8yr age statement. Some signifcantly older whiskey made it in. For the most part, that's a good thing, but I opened a bottle recently that's just too woody and tannic. The rye spice present in BH is there, but it's not just lightly prickling the tongue: it's a very nicely cinnamon-and-clove dusted bourbon. The extra proof provides additional zing, and there's a fruit note in the ND OGD that has never been in a BH I've had.

As for BH, I like the light body on a summer day, and I actually think it does okay mixed with iced tea (in a pretty high ratio of bourbon:tea) on ice. The lightly spiced character has to be the result of careful barrel selection, as I don't get much in the way of floral notes that rye can lend, nor the melding of char and spice that pepper the tongue in every ND OGD (and some Beam OGD).

In other words, BH is okay.
    It costs $31 minimum in these parts.
    $31 = okay? Noooo.
    Meanwhile, I've never paid over $17 for a fifth of OGD 8yo/86. When that's all gone, I'll drink current OGD.