Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Re: vegetalia ourobouros

Andy, I've referred people to a series of posts by Marvin on this site. He put together an 8 part series on tasting that has been a big help to me in my exploration of our favorite spirit. I don't know how to link it here, but look for posts entitled "How to evaluate the different taste in bourbon", by Marvin from Oct. 13, 2004 through Nov. 17, 2004. I think you'll find these to be as invaluable to your tasting, as they have been to me. I refer to them constantly.
    All of the above mentioned threads by Marvin, excellent I might add, are stickied at the moment at the top of the "Tasting" forum. I urge any interested party to bookmark or otherwise save the urls as it may turn out having 8 threads stickied will look like too much clutter. I defer to Jim Butler and Jeff Yeast that decision, they may un sticky those. For the time being enjoy because they are indeed a remarkable piece of work by Marvin.
    ___Bobby Cox___

May you have wonderful things thought of to do...

Connoisseur

Thumbs up Re: BOTM,11/07:Basil Haydens

thanks guys for the insights and maps and tips!
    HUP!

Apprentice

Re: BOTM,11/07:Basil Haydens

Basil hayden's is too thin, has a metalic wood taste, has a short finish and pretty much sucks, IMHO. I can think of a bunch of bourb's that I would rather drink. I have it had 3-4 times in the hope that I had a bad bottle. but nope it really is not good to me. But if you like , I may just have different likes. I would rather drink JIM BEAM WHITE!!

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Re: vegetalia ourobouros

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyc View Post
    All of the above mentioned threads by Marvin, excellent I might add, are stickied at the moment at the top of the "Tasting" forum. I urge any interested party to bookmark or otherwise save the urls as it may turn out having 8 threads stickied will look like too much clutter. I defer to Jim Butler and Jeff Yeast that decision, they may un sticky those. For the time being enjoy because they are indeed a remarkable piece of work by Marvin.
    I just reread them all with great pleasure. Thanks for the great idea, Bobby. No. 8 is especially fun. We miss you, Marvin.
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Guru

My scotch-drinker son visited over Thanksgiving. I took the opportunity to resume my quest to acquaint him with the virtues of bourbon (or at least of better scotch than the Dewar's he prefers).

Mainly for that purpose I bought a bottle of BH. However, I was a little curious myself because I had tasted it only one time several years ago.

I drink so infrequently these days that my tasting ability, no great shakes to begin with, has deteriorated to beginner status. Even so, I had no trouble noticing the oft-cited similarity with Old Grand-Dad, even though it had been months since I sampled from my lone bottle of OGD BIB.

However, I found the BH to be inferior on two counts. Obviously the lower proof is one factor. Ironically I thought its additional age worked against it, as well. Making a weak drink smoother seems misguided.

I haven't had OGD in the lower proof (86?) for years, but I recall that it had an appealing sparkle that is lacking in the BH.

When my son jokingly asked where we keep the Coca Cola (to mix with my $36 -- ouch! -- bottle of bourbon), I told him to feel free to mix it however he pleased. He was kidding. I wasn't.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Guru

I considered buying a bottle today while at the store but it costs more than twice as much as the Granddad BIB on the same shelf, so, I decided to just buy two BIBs instead.

Squire

Advanced Taster

I tried a small bottle of BH as part of the Beam Small Batch Collection. I can only describe it as subtle and elegant. BH might be good for someone being introduced to bourbon. I usually drink bourbon over ice in summer, but BH might be an exception and would be a good summer treat neat.

Apprentice

I like it as a before-dinner bourbon.
    Barron.

Crabgrass can grow on bowling balls in airless rooms, and there is no known way to kill it that does not involve nuclear weapons.
    Dave Barry

Virtuoso

I have to go to Bardstown for work every now and then, and, when possible, I like to stop at Beam and get a sample on the way home. Each day they sample two of the four small batches. I think they are starting to recognize me, so this may come to an end soon.

Advanced Taster

My wife bought me a bottle of BH a couple of years ago for Christmas. I don't really recall anything outstanding about it. I do know that I haven't bought any since so I must not have been impressed although I tend to like the higher proof, stronger flavors.
    "I'm and optimist, even if the glass is half empty, there's still more in the bottle!!!!!"