Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: What is THE best American Whiskey you have ever had?

I Loved Lot B... Loved ORVW 10/107 .... Loved PVW 20... but PVW 15 Blew me away.

hands down my favorite thus far. But my travels have been short and the road ahead is long and windy
    -Kevin

"Why? Because it's delicious!"

Bourbon always did make me feel like a Giant.

Enthusiast

There's a lot of superb American whiskey, but the best of the best, for me, is the tried and true Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 101. My supply is slowly dwindling, but I'm confident that for the next couple of years at least, I'll be able to enjoy my favorite.

My second favorite is also one, unfortunately, in dwindling supply - Old Weller Centennial.

Luckily my third favorite, Four Roses Single Barrel, is a new one on the market.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I had reserved some A.H. Hirsch 20 bourbon some time back and revisited. It is probably the best bourbon I've ever had, if I have to select one (earlier I named a group I liked a lot).

It is really, technically and in flavor, a quasi-rye due to its high rye content and has that rye spearmint thing going which is characteristic of some aged ryes.

It is quite different in taste to Hirsch 16 although the Hirsch 16 blue wax was closer than the others. I don't see why this is so, because Hirsch 16 seems woodier and less delicate all 'round (despite being 4 years younger that is). But there you are, perhaps the barrels selected for the bottling were from a different part of wherever they were warehoused before dumping and bottling or tanking.

Gary

Guru

It has been almost a year since this thread started (11-17-07) and each time I see a new post I say to myself I gotta post a responce.
    But I cannot narrow it down to one.

Although I have recently come up with three bourbons that while none of them is "THE" best I ever had but the three that are easily available to me and I will always have some bunkered and/or open ready to pour.

They are in no particular order;

a. Wild Turkey Rare Breed, if you would have asked me about this brand a half year ago or so I'd have said WT Kentucky Spirit. But the recent WTKS's I have had seem young and a let down after some stellar ones I have had in the past.

b. Four Roses Single Barrel, not available in MI but for this bottle KY and Chi-Town are both a very short drive.

c. Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 107prf, one good thing about being in MI is the vodka, brown-vodka and schnapps drinkers don't know about this glourious bourbon. They can't keep it on the shelves elsewhere. I picked up a couple today and the guy said I can get you a case, no problem.

Ok, I went way off topic but like I said I've been wanting to post something here for almost a year. I'll keep thinking, maybe I can come up with "THE" one.
    ovh

Connoisseur

Like most here, I struggle to choose just one favorite whiskey. Heck, my favorite is usually the one I happen to be drinking at the moment. I'll give it a try.

My favorite was Old Charter 12, The Classic 90. This was good, affordable whiskey. You could drink it straight up, drop a little water or ice on it, even mix it in your favorite drink and it seemed to always settle in nicely.

Now that it is rare and hard to find I've ventured off aimlessly sampling whiskey where ever I can find it. During my unfocused ventures into other brands from big and small distillers, I happened on Booker's True Barrel Bourbon 6 yrs 3 months old from batch C00-K-15, 63.5% ABV. This was a great tasting bourbon with plenty of kick to withstand even the most insidious use of cola or ginger ale. The price is about $50 but the bottle goes a long way at 126.7 proof.

Of course there are the other bourbons that are just one pour away from being the new favorite. But, I have another bottle of Booker's to finish first.

Cheers!
    Often I am forced to deal with the fact that I prefer bourbon over dealing with facts.

Trippah and Admin

Have I said lately that Doug Philips 22 year old rye was the best whiskey to ever grace my palate?

I figure if I repeat that a few more times, someone will discover that they have an extra in their bunker and offer it to me at a fair price.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

VWFRR and PVW20 are now out of the running.

Its either Weller Centennial or Dickel Single Barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    VWFRR and PVW20 are now out of the running.

Its either Weller Centennial or Dickel Single Barrel.
    Wow,

Big call there David!

Although, after opening my centennial......I know where you're coming from

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Had a taste of the Willett's 25 year old at the Chicago get together at Binny's last Saturday. "The Chocolate Monster" Just when I thought another bourbon couldn't turn my head. It might just be worth the $200+ price tag. It was one exceptional bourbon. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Also at the get together, my favorite's are Brett's 18yo Pappy, and The '08 Handy. Can't pick just one.