Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What is THE best American Whiskey you have ever had?

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Have I said lately that Doug Philips 22 year old rye was the best whiskey to ever grace my palate?

I figure if I repeat that a few more times, someone will discover that they have an extra in their bunker and offer it to me at a fair price.
    There are two likely bottlings you might be referring to. Any idea if it's the "Doug Phillips" (the first Willett Rye bottling) or the "Neal and Doug's" (the second) ?

Roger

Advanced Taster

Another vote for ORVW 15 (down to my last 2 bottles). And no, it is not the same as PVW 15.

Jim

Trippah and Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    There are two likely bottlings you might be referring to. Any idea if it's the "Doug Phillips" (the first Willett Rye bottling) or the "Neal and Doug's" (the second) ?

Roger
    I believe it was the Doug bottlling that found its way into John Hansells hands and made his top 10 list in 2006.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Guru

I am going to have to plug the PVW 15yr from the bourbon crusades.. every day that bottle gets better....

I believe it was the Doug bottlling that found its way into John Hansells hands and made his top 10 list in 2006.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
    Have I said lately that Doug Philips 22 year old rye was the best whiskey to ever grace my palate?

I figure if I repeat that a few more times, someone will discover that they have an extra in their bunker and offer it to me at a fair price.
    I have one in the bunker, but sorry you're not getting it for even an UNreasonable price. It is one of the best whiskies I've ever tasted, Doug has an incredible pallate for sure. Not sure I'd give it a #1, but pretty sure it is in my top 5. For the moment I am thinking one of the SB.com SB PVW23 bottles would hold my #1, Hirsch Blue Wax would be in the top 5 as well. Hard to really break it down when you count everything I've tasted at the gazebo. Impossible really.

Weller Antique the Original Barrel Proof was amazing. Randy's Van Blankle is outstanding, you'll never count how many times that has been said. The VWSR 12 year that Dan (Schlep) opened at this past year's sampler was incredible and different - I've been lucky enough to acquire two of those since then!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Enthusiast

I cannot pick a best American Whiskey. There are many that are outstanding. Unless I can sample all at the same time, it is impossible for me to pick one based on memory. The best that I can do is pick my favorite from a Gazebo assortment. Baed on a number of Gazebo events, one of my favorites is Old Rip Van Winkle 10 yr from Lawrenceburg that Randy often brings to The Gazebo. One of this year's favorites is The Party Source bottling of Willett 12 yr bourbon.

Virtuoso

08 George T Stagg.

I had to create a new bourbon category in my mind for this one.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    08 George T Stagg.

I had to create a new bourbon category in my mind for this one.
    GTS 08 is a strong contender for this tittle.

In another thread someone commented how long its taste lingered, I strongly agree.

I don't have sufficient expertise to adequately describe it.

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Hey Scott ....... you're crying a river for one of those Willett 22 yo ryes! I'll check my inventory, but I MIGHT have one to spare. If I don't, I'll at least bring some to the next Gazebo event. At one time I had two cases of both 22yo ryes Doug and his Bay Area group selected. IIRC, their first bottling AKA "Doug Philips" was a consensus selection and the Doug and Neal bottling was Doug's personal favorite. I had the opportunity to taste their samples when I visited Doug several years ago and I ended up also picking the two they chose from the five samples.......great choices by Doug. Its a fine drink and that's coming from someone who doesn't drink much rye.

As to the subject matter, I don't have a single best but would put a handfull of bottlings from the SW distillery in my top five. ORVW 15 is one of them. The Lot B SB AKA Van Blankle is up there. And there were a couple of Black Maple Hill's when Julian bottled it that stand out. I just can't name only one.

Randy

Disciple

I think it is a thigh between Doug’s first 22 year rye and WLW 2006.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey