Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

Bourbon and diabetes

Well... looks like I may be type 2. Anyone else on here diabetic and how has it changed your bourbon consumption?

I tried a search and there just hasn't been a lot of discussion on here about it.

...and I know nothing about diabetes. I go for follow up Monday.
    Chris N

Taster

Re: Bourbon and diabetes

Sorry to here that Jeeper. My wife is type two her doc. said the best for her was to not consume any. She didn't get a second opinion.
    J.W.

Virtuoso

My buddies wife was as well and she went on the pump and just adjusted her dosage for the intake of alcohol but she has been diabetic since birth. She use to drink with us though so I know she did not just quite. It's different for everyone though.

Sorry to hear that Jeepers! Good idea to get a second opinion though.

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Apprentice

Thanks guys... It's not been confirmed just yet. The doc ran blood tests and it came back just above what they would consider diabetic. I go for a glucose tolerance test Monday. Then I'll know more.

I'm just hoping that I don't have to give up the Bourbon totally.
    Chris N

Taster

First, I am not a medical doctor. Of course, ask your doctor, but do all the research you can. There are multiple risk factors, so if you are willing to decrease the vaste majoirty of them, you MAY be able to have some degree of whisky. A good holistic approach is almost best with such disorders.

My best wishes to you, and to your health..

Connoisseur

yes, HOLISITIC is a key word there to guide you...

i've been wanting to start a thread on Bourbon and HEALTH...but i want to word it right and see if it's been discussed somewhat here.

there is something medicinal about bourbon. but then that means context etc............and a serious consideration of balance......................
    HUP!

Enthusiast

I'm a type 2 diabetic, have been for years. First advice, learn all you can about how to control your blood sugar. Get some daily exercise and lose weight asap if you can, "belly fat" is part of the problem when you develop insulin resistance.

That said, I still enjoy bourbon a few nights a week - never more than 2 drinks. I don't drink every night - never did. But I have 2 glasses of red wine with dinner on many of those nights when I don't really want bourbon. Depending on your medication, a little alcohol is good for our heart. A little is good, a lot is not so good. But hey, better to have 2 than zero, sez I.
    I recommend drinking (at least some of) your boubon as dessert, you'll find that this is a fine way to end a meal and you won't be missing cakes and so on. And your body can process the alcohol better with some fats to work on at the same time.

This blog has some very useful info for diabetics. I recommend it highly:

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/
    Here's to us, who's like us?
    Damned few and they're all dead

Guru

I have type 2 diabetes. I find, overall, that whiskey lowers blood sugar. At least it does for me.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Apprentice

Well I finally got the results back from my glucose test and they say I'm not diabetic. I'm still at high risk and need to monitor my blood and do the diet, exercise, lose weight thing. It looks like I may be able to get past this if I get my weight and diet under control.

Thanks again everyone!
    Chris N

Virtuoso

Great news Chris! I need to do the same thing weight and diet so I wish you good luck as I will need the same with the holiday seqson here and all! Will Power baby I need to drop about 60lbs. myself so I guess this week is as good as the next.

Keep us posted on how it's going and again Great news!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"