Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

new from lou-a-vul

hello all. awesome site! i was curious about the jim beam 200 anniversary bottle. i found one on ebay for $10 and had to get it. figured heck, a fifth of beam of no significance goes for over $10. but i was wondering how many of these were produced and how much are they worth? any help is appreciated.

your new bourbon fellow

Disciple

Re: new from lou-a-vul

Welcome to the site! Tell us about yourself...what bourbon do you like, etc?

I haven't seen the Beam 200th Anniversary and don't know anything about it. Is it a decanter? I think you'll find this site is more oriented toward drinking and collecting bourbon, rather than the decanters, but someone on here may know something about it.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Virtuoso

I picked one up and have seen them around my area. No idea on the number made by the content was just Ok. It's a higher proof and very smooth, the flip top bottle is cool and looks nice but no great value to me. Any way welcome and a I hope you enjoy your stay.

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Novice

thank's for the welcome and the replies. it's great to have a website like this to come to. i've always been a fan of maker's mark and woodford reserve. from what i have read, i've got a lot of sampling to do. i didn't realize how many different brands of bourbon where out there. i've been looking at the eagle rare 17 and wondered what some of your thoughts were on this particular blend and what are some other good choices for one who favors maker's and woodford.
    derick

bourbon is our enemy, so letís finish it off.

Connoisseur

First off, Welcome!!

Second, IMO ER17 is pretty overpriced. For the $60 I would way rather get a Stagg or William Larue Weller. Also, ER 10 year is actually closer to 13 years I believe. That's a lot of extra price for not a lot of extra years...

A good idea is to find a store with a good selection and try to get a bottle from each of the distillers. That way, you get a nice feeling of what each distiller has to offer, then you can dive further into the ones you like the most. My recommendation would be:

Heaven Hill - Evan Williams Single Barrel
    Buffalo Trace - Buffalo Trace
    Jim Beam - Knob Creek
    Wild Turkey - Wild Turkey 101, or Rare Breed

Virtuoso

Don't forget the Four Roses!! Single Barrel for me but I read the small batch is very good as well.
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Disciple

I'll refer you to my post here on Affordable Bourbons and Ryes for Beginners: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ead.php?t=8142

I would not recommend Eagle Rare 17 as a bourbon to start out with. There's nothing wrong with it - it's very good bourbon, in fact - but there's really no need to spend so much before you do some wider sampling and determine what style(s) of bourbon you like.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Guru

I really like ER17. Yes, it may be overpriced at $60.00 per and Stagg could be considered a better value based on alcohol content, but it has nice flavor and is a solid enjoyable drink. I too do not think it make a good starting bourbon.