Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: New NY Times article

    Corn whiskey can be aged in used or uncharred new barrels. Charred new barrels makes it bourbon.

  2. #12
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,570

    Re: New NY Times article

    I picked up a tidbit from my wine tasting friends regarding a spirit tasting they attended. The winner in the Bourbon category was Makers Mark because, as it was explained to me, the wine aficianados didn't really care for spirits and Makers won because it was the least offensive. Thats to say it tasted best because it tasted least.

    Regards,
    Squire

  3. #13

    Re: New NY Times article

    Funny, though, that while aware of the 'peculiarities' of Virginia Gentleman, the author seemingly is not aware that Michter's has been closed for two decades, and that the label is used by a NY-based company, Chatham Imports, using whiskey distilled in Kentucky. The claim that current Michter's is disitlled in PA is an outright falsehood -- and has no legitimate place is a news story, feature or otherwise.
    We call that 'sloppy' reporting.
    Tim

  4. #14
    Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northwest of Peoria
    Posts
    4,437

    Re: New NY Times article

    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I picked up a tidbit from my wine tasting friends regarding a spirit tasting they attended. The winner in the Bourbon category was Makers Mark because, as it was explained to me, the wine aficianados didn't really care for spirits and Makers won because it was the least offensive. Thats to say it tasted best because it tasted least.

    Regards,
    Squire
    I wonder what those wine aficionados would think if a bunch of non wine drinkers pronounced Arbor Mist 'the best' because it tasted the least like wine?

    All of this begs the question; why would folks who don't like spirits attend a spirit tasting? I can understand if it was to broaden their horizons. But they might have been honest about it and gave their rating with the caveat that because of their inexperience or general distaste for spirits they really aren't qualified to judge one whiskey from another. Then again perhaps this is just what happened.

  5. #15
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    342

    Re: New NY Times article

    Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I wonder what those wine aficionados would think if a bunch of non wine drinkers pronounced Arbor Mist 'the best' because it tasted the least like wine?
    Probably the same thing you said. Who the hell cares what a bunch of Bourbon drinkers think is good wine!!!!!
    Joe

  6. #16
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    DFW, Texas
    Posts
    165

    Re: New NY Times article

    Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Funny, though, that while aware of the 'peculiarities' of Virginia Gentleman, the author seemingly is not aware that Michter's has been closed for two decades, and that the label is used by a NY-based company, Chatham Imports, using whiskey distilled in Kentucky. The claim that current Michter's is disitlled in PA is an outright falsehood -- and has no legitimate place is a news story, feature or otherwise.
    We call that 'sloppy' reporting.
    Are we reading the same article? The author clearly states that the A. H. Hirsch 16 yo "was among the last batches of whiskey distilled at Michter's Distillery in Schaefferstown, Pa., which closed in 1989. The name Michter's lives on as a brand, but is distilled in Kentucky." While not providing precise details, I think he covered this important note within reason. Did I miss something?
    Kevin

    "Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

  7. #17
    Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Jackson, MS
    Posts
    12,570

    Re: New NY Times article

    Hi Brad, they attended because they were invited. Actually the tasting was a prelude to dinner with wine which followed. I've hosted a number of wine tastings myself (wasn't at this one) and will sometimes use a vertical sampling of something stronger (port, cognac or the like) to add dimension to the evening.
    Regards,
    Squire

  8. #18
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: New NY Times article

    I had a tasting over the holidays with my brothers, my sister in law, her brother, and his wife. Mostly because, thanks to you guys, my rate of purchase is far exceeding my rate of consumption, and I had to do something to cut down on the quantities.

    We did a flight of wheaters first, with Weller Antique 107 (a couple of the nine year old single barrels), OF BIB, Maker's, Lot B, and WLW '07, and the Maker's was the favorite of the majority. Part of that was probably proof, but I think the "unoffensiveness" was the biggest factor. That's exactly what they are trying to do.

    (After we got to the rest the "I'm going to buy some of that!" choices were the Stagg '07, ND OGD BIB, and Rittenhouse BIB. As it should be.)

  9. #19
    Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kentucky!
    Posts
    4,750

    Re: New NY Times article

    Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    Mostly because, thanks to you guys, my rate of purchase is far exceeding my rate of consumption,
    You're welcome
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

    As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

    I'm no Pappyophile

  10. #20
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    1,091

    Re: New NY Times article

    I'm working on it (right now, in fact, and next week looks to be fairly bourbony), but I think I just need to quit buying so much.Now that I think about it, the Maker's may also have done well because those six were our first straight whiskeys of the days, and I doubt many of the crowd were used to that. By the time we got to the ryes everyone had gotten used to the base taste and were ready to find nuances. And ready to take a nap.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. article in NY Times 6-8-07
    By cas in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2007, 13:45
  2. article in NY Times
    By cas in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-30-2006, 12:22
  3. Los Angeles Times Article: Rye Whiskey Is Back
    By Sweetmeats in forum American Rye Whiskey
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-30-2005, 17:10
  4. Article of Interest from the LA Times
    By bluesbassdad in forum Other American Whiskey
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 18:15
  5. NY Times Article
    By cas in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 09:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top