Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: New NY Times article

Corn whiskey can be aged in used or uncharred new barrels. Charred new barrels makes it bourbon.

Guru

I picked up a tidbit from my wine tasting friends regarding a spirit tasting they attended. The winner in the Bourbon category was Makers Mark because, as it was explained to me, the wine aficianados didn't really care for spirits and Makers won because it was the least offensive. Thats to say it tasted best because it tasted least.

Regards,
    Squire

Funny, though, that while aware of the 'peculiarities' of Virginia Gentleman, the author seemingly is not aware that Michter's has been closed for two decades, and that the label is used by a NY-based company, Chatham Imports, using whiskey distilled in Kentucky. The claim that current Michter's is disitlled in PA is an outright falsehood -- and has no legitimate place is a news story, feature or otherwise.
    We call that 'sloppy' reporting.
    Tim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I picked up a tidbit from my wine tasting friends regarding a spirit tasting they attended. The winner in the Bourbon category was Makers Mark because, as it was explained to me, the wine aficianados didn't really care for spirits and Makers won because it was the least offensive. Thats to say it tasted best because it tasted least.

Regards,
    Squire
    I wonder what those wine aficionados would think if a bunch of non wine drinkers pronounced Arbor Mist 'the best' because it tasted the least like wine?

All of this begs the question; why would folks who don't like spirits attend a spirit tasting? I can understand if it was to broaden their horizons. But they might have been honest about it and gave their rating with the caveat that because of their inexperience or general distaste for spirits they really aren't qualified to judge one whiskey from another. Then again perhaps this is just what happened.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I wonder what those wine aficionados would think if a bunch of non wine drinkers pronounced Arbor Mist 'the best' because it tasted the least like wine?
    Probably the same thing you said. Who the hell cares what a bunch of Bourbon drinkers think is good wine!!!!!
    Joe

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Funny, though, that while aware of the 'peculiarities' of Virginia Gentleman, the author seemingly is not aware that Michter's has been closed for two decades, and that the label is used by a NY-based company, Chatham Imports, using whiskey distilled in Kentucky. The claim that current Michter's is disitlled in PA is an outright falsehood -- and has no legitimate place is a news story, feature or otherwise.
    We call that 'sloppy' reporting.
    Are we reading the same article? The author clearly states that the A. H. Hirsch 16 yo "was among the last batches of whiskey distilled at Michter's Distillery in Schaefferstown, Pa., which closed in 1989. The name Michter's lives on as a brand, but is distilled in Kentucky." While not providing precise details, I think he covered this important note within reason. Did I miss something?
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

Guru

Hi Brad, they attended because they were invited. Actually the tasting was a prelude to dinner with wine which followed. I've hosted a number of wine tastings myself (wasn't at this one) and will sometimes use a vertical sampling of something stronger (port, cognac or the like) to add dimension to the evening.
    Regards,
    Squire

Virtuoso

I had a tasting over the holidays with my brothers, my sister in law, her brother, and his wife. Mostly because, thanks to you guys, my rate of purchase is far exceeding my rate of consumption, and I had to do something to cut down on the quantities.

We did a flight of wheaters first, with Weller Antique 107 (a couple of the nine year old single barrels), OF BIB, Maker's, Lot B, and WLW '07, and the Maker's was the favorite of the majority. Part of that was probably proof, but I think the "unoffensiveness" was the biggest factor. That's exactly what they are trying to do.

(After we got to the rest the "I'm going to buy some of that!" choices were the Stagg '07, ND OGD BIB, and Rittenhouse BIB. As it should be.)

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by craigthom View Post
    Mostly because, thanks to you guys, my rate of purchase is far exceeding my rate of consumption,
    You're welcome
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Virtuoso

I'm working on it (right now, in fact, and next week looks to be fairly bourbony), but I think I just need to quit buying so much.Now that I think about it, the Maker's may also have done well because those six were our first straight whiskeys of the days, and I doubt many of the crowd were used to that. By the time we got to the ryes everyone had gotten used to the base taste and were ready to find nuances. And ready to take a nap.