Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Novice

New Member from Milwaukee

Very cool site for Bourbon drinkers. My neighbor and I often enjoy a good bottle of Knob Creek, Bookers and other small batch brands.

Looking for other considerations from members.

Go Packers tonight.

Guru

Re: New Member from Milwaukee

Other than the Packers...I agree with your choices!

Bears fan here but ....Packers do look very good....I certainly respect Favre...wish he would have been a Bear.

Taster

How great is Brett! Go Packers!

Recommend any Wellers and any Van Winkle.

Virtuoso

I moved to Louisville almost a year ago, and it's a great place, and I'm glad I did, but I moved here from Rockford, Illinois, and I was in Wisconsin several times a week, and there are three things I really miss:

Beer. My favorite beer is made in Lake Mills and only sold in Wisconsin and Minnesota, but I also miss the Milwaukee Ale House.

Sausage. During cold weather I often hit the Usinger's "seconds" table. Great deals on great sausage.

Spices. Holy cow, do I miss this, almost as much as the beer. I became so accustomed to just running into Penzey's or the Spice House that it never occurred to me that I might not be able to easily get fresh high-quality spices at a moment's notice. Now I have to get them mail order.

Virtuoso

BD! Welcome, my Dad is a Yupper! and a Packer's fan as well. I would suggest some ER 10yr. SB, EC 12yr or some Buffalo Trace.

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Novice

I did have a 12Yr. Van Winkle and enjoyed it very much. I understand that their is an older more tasteful version?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Dad View Post
    I understand that their is an older more tasteful version?
    There are actually three. Pappy 15 y/o, Pappy 20 y/o and Pappy 23 y/o. All excellent but pricey.
    Joe
    Colonel Joseph B. "Bourbon Joe" Koch

"Bourbon.....It's cheaper than therapy!!"

Enthusiast

Welcome to the club BourbonDad. Most of the highly regarded bourbons and ryes can be found Milwaukee. OGD114 is a good for the money. Also pick up some Elmer T. Lee. Sometime us Milwaukee drinkers should get together fo a tasting. Go Pack. And the Bears still suck!
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

I'm a WI Badger for life! Welcome to the forum....Go Colts! Brett Farve is too old to be playing football!! Must be that Wisconsin Cheese/Beer and Brats!!

Virtuoso

Others can fill you in on details better, but the tradition you should protect and rekindled (if you accept this mission) is for rye. We're told there are still small pockets of the old school rye market, and Barton has been quietly supplying them with good basic stuff all along. However, Barton seems to be ready to (or recently has) quit making rye - just as it becomes the hottest buzz in the industry.

I've had some bottom shelf Fleischmann's (by Barton) that was great basic whiskey. They need to keep making it so that they can pull some barrels off for more high-falutin' "macho bullshit" bottlings for us non-Wisconsinites.

Roger