Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Advanced Taster

Hello from Denver

I stumbled upon SB.com a few months ago while looking for some information on Stagg and just kept coming back for the knowledge. A hearty thanks to everyone who has made searching the archives hours and hours of time well spent.

The introduction to the BTAC has been welcome (and costly), but I'm probably happiest to have learned about some under-the-radar bargains I would have just passed over a few months ago (the OGD 114 and Rittenhouse BIB are getting a lot of love in my house these days).

I'm especially curious to know if anyone around the Denver area (say, anywhere from Colorado Springs to the WY border) has had any luck hunting the dusty stuff. While the new stuff such as the BTAC is fairly easy to find, I've had only one hit on older bourbon, and it turned up a couple bottles of the less coveted "collectibles." (I'm still looking forward to trying a bourbon that's been around almost as long as I have, though.)

Thanks again for the all the invaluable information...I hope to spend many more hours around here.

Guru

Re: Hello from Denver

Welcome!

Not from Denver but love the Rittenhouse BB....have not had the OGD.

Taster

Welcome, a toast of W.T.Rare breed to you.
    Ritenhouse is my favorite "cheap" pour.

Advanced Taster

Thanks, gentlemen.

Reminds me that I need to get my hands on some Rare Breed. I had my first pour of Kentucky Spirit on Tuesday night at the bar. Not too shabby.

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Hello from Denver

Rittenhouse is only cheap in price...that is for sure...I am more impressed with it each time I have it.

Kentucky Spirit is a fine bourbon...I will have to do a comparison between it and Rare Breed..it has been awhile.

Enthusiast

Hi, Rake:

I lived in Denver for years. My whole family still lives there. I'm living in Michigan now. Big change!

Denver has the best of both worlds when it comes to liquor stores. You have your "selection" stores like Applejack, Argonaut, Lukas, Daveco, Davidson, etc., and you also have TONS of locally owned mom-and-pop liquor stores that have older stuff that just hasn't moved in years. In my wine collecting days, I used to come across impossible to find 1997 Napa cabs in tiny liquor stores that focused primarily on beer. So, you might try some of the small, stripmall stores in Aurora (parker rd./Leetsdale), Denver-proper, and Lakewood. Generally, the older the neighborhood, the older the merchandise.

I'm headed back west in a couple weeks...I always stock up on bourbon when I'm out in Denver. Cheap prices, great selection.

BTW, Lukas Liquor in Park Meadows has a few bottles left of the Eagle Rare 10YO SB. They actually bought an entire barrel and had it bottled specially for the store. It's a real bargain...I think it's around 20 bucks.

Take care,

Jeremy
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut