Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Guru

Clyde of WLS and Old Kessler

Anybody familiar with a regular caller to the Roe Conn show on WLS AM (Chicago) or on the interent knows Clyde....who loves "Old Kessler".....never had it...probably never will. Does anyone have any tasting experience with this whiskey?

Is it a good mixer?
    Is it jet fuel?

Disciple

Re: Clyde of WLS and Old Kessler

I don't remember it being called "Old" just Kessler's American Whiskey. It is a very typical blended whiskey. Nothing worth getting out your wallet for....if that is the label you are referring to.

Jeff Mo.

Guru

The call in character calls it "Old" Kessler probably as an affectionate term....he loves to use it as a mixer...which is probably perfect for it.

FYI - On Fridays...around 5:15 the "Canarble Wagon"...drink cart...rolls out....listen live on the internet at WLS.com...The Roe Conn Show....drinks are ordered and discussed...usually a guest bartender is in house.

http://www.wlsam.com/sectional.asp?id=11390

See the drink recipes etc.

Guru

FYI Kessler info:

http://www.badgerwest.com/kesslerblend.shtml

"Kessler is an American blended whiskey known for its smoothness since 1888! The brand's heritage is rooted in the legendary Old West, where Julius Kessler himself traveled from saloon to saloon personally selling his fine whiskey. Wine Enthusiast March '97: Rated 83 - Dark amber. Medium-bodied. Licorice, dried citrus, leather. Soft texture. Assertive and brisk on the palate. Ample spice and horse saddle notes are nicely complimented by fruity nuances. Lively, engaging finish."

Guru

Ah yes, another old name in American whiskey. During our broke student days we would pick up Kessler because it was just about the cheapest whiskey in the store. Not a big seller in my part of the Deep South, I remember seeing it but couldn't say I saw it regularly. It was pleasant enough for what it was but if we could scrounge up another .50 or so we would buy Daviss County.

Regards,
    Squire

I remember Kessler. Their main advertising slogan was " Kessler, Smooth As Silk". I worked at a very large bowling center back in the early 80's that was part of a huge group in and and around Indianapolis. They negotiated a PBA tour stop there, and the title sponsor was Kessler. Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"