Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Thumbs up Sailor Jerry Navy Rum

The Mrs. isn't much on whiskey, but she loves a nice rum drink. Since she always mixes her rum, we usually buy pretty cheap stuff, but I decided to step up a notch to the moderately priced Sailer Jerry.

I have to say that I'm impressed. Poured over crushed ice and topped with a wedge of lime, it is a darn fine summer sipper- even more so with a pack of splenda, a splash of club soda, and a dash of Fee's Mint Bitters. And with Coke zero, it is sublime. Not bad for the price of admission
    Last edited by OldJack; 06-05-2008 at 09:44.

Disciple

Re: Sailor Jerry Navy Rum

Rum is probably my second favorite pour.

I prefer to mix with Sprite or 7-up though, keeps the lightness when the temp gets up aroung 100 degrees. Some of the brands I enjoy are: Dark- Meyers, Light-Mt. Gay Sugar Cain, Spiced- Castillo(cheap but good). There are plenty of other labels that are noteworthy...too many to mention.

Sailor Jerry is an excellent rum....especially being 90 proof. Another good family of labels is Pyrat.

Have you ever tried mixing a drink with some pomagranite molasis?

Jeff Mo.

Novice

Sailor Jerry was one of my most pleasant discoveries. I'd basically written off spiced rum after Captain Morgan (bleh), but SJ is a totally different animal. It's quite a high-quality spirit, with great flavors of cherry and vanilla. As you can imagine, it goes GREAT with Coke (especially Coke Zero, as mentioned), and makes a fantastic cuba libre when you toss in a bit of lime, actually the best I've ever had.

It's funny, but Captain Morgan really tastes like firewater to me, but SJ is 11% ABV higher, and I don't even notice the alcohol! I've turned probably half a dozen people onto SJ, and they're all big fans now.

Connoisseur

Sailor Jerry is another fine product from the folks at Wm Grant & Sons. It has been growing at at 30% rate the last few years I've been told.
    Illuminati in training

Novice

My wife has a receipe for banna muffins that includes SailorJerrys and brandy
    wecall it grandmas secret ingrediants, good for chuch coffee hours!

Advanced Taster

Actually, it's 92 proof, and one of my very favorite rums (right up there with Bacardi 151 ) due to its smoothness, proof, and the flavor which has just the right amount of spice. Very drinkable neat or on the rocks, in my very unsophisticated opinion.

Disciple

Sailor Jerry, as mentioned, is smooth and delicious -- my favorite rum for years now. We had some yesterday in hot spiced cider. Fantastic!

Virtuoso

I actually got into spiced rum through SJ. I have yet to find another I like as much.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Connoisseur

yes, i liked it alot. mixed it once, but like with all spirits, i prefer them w/o mixer.

beats CM Tattoo by a long shot (but then not sure about the Captain's private stock...haven't had it yet)
    HUP!

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by polyamnesia View Post
    yes, i liked it alot. mixed it once, but like with all spirits, i prefer them w/o mixer.

beats CM Tattoo by a long shot (but then not sure about the Captain's private stock...haven't had it yet)
    Cptn Private stock is excellent - - I only drink it neat -- easily the best CM product, however, Sailor Jerry is still better and cheaper.