Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guru

Jack Daniels Green

Is the Jack Daniels green label is available in your market area?
    Squire

Re: Jack Daniels Green

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Is the Jack Daniels green label is available in your market area?
    Squire
    Yes, it is -- but, then, I'm about 50 miles from the distillery itself.
    The whiskey used in the green-label comprises 1/7 of the JD production -- that whiskey aged on the first floors only of the 7-story warehouses, which never matures enough to match the taste profile desired for the #7 black-label. (The 7th floors constitute 'stock' for the single-barrels and other export-only brands).
    Thus, only 16%-17% of standard production goes into the green-label. That's why it is only distributed into 6-8 marketing areas.
    Because of its seeming 'rarity' and occasional market shifts, the rumor goes around almost continuously that the green-label is being discontinued. However, unless they find another use for that immature whiskey, it can't ever be.
    Last edited by TNbourbon; 11-30-2007 at 21:40.
    Tim

Guru

Thanks Tim,I knew about the lower racks but did not know the % of production. I was asked to pick up a bottle for an old family friend ( why does everybody always select me for such missions?) and Green was out of stock in the two places I stopped. Just wondered if they'd lowered the proof to 70 and started shipping it overseas or something.

Regards,
    Squire

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Thanks Tim,I knew about the lower racks but did not know the % of production. I was asked to pick up a bottle for an old family friend ( why does everybody always select me for such missions?) and Green was out of stock in the two places I stopped. Just wondered if they'd lowered the proof to 70 and started shipping it overseas or something.

Regards,
    Squire
    Still 80 proof, still available domestically, within its limits. If it were to fall under 80 proof, of course, they'd have to label it 'diluted', or somesuch.
    Tim

Guru

Yea, I was referring to the overseas market where I understand whiskey can be sold at 70 proof without using the term diluted.

Squire

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    However, unless they find another use for that immature whiskey, it can't ever be.
    THey could always bring back the Lem Motlow, with the advantage of only having to age it a year.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    However, unless they find another use for that immature whiskey, it can't ever be.
    I would be shocked to find out that is not what they use in their "Country Cocktails." Nothing hides a poor whiskey better than a lot of sugar and artificial flavoring.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Thesh View Post
    I would be shocked to find out that is not what they use in their "Country Cocktails." Nothing hides a poor whiskey better than a lot of sugar and artificial flavoring.
    There's actually whiskey in them? I thought they were one of those malt beverages.

I need to quit using the term alco-pops. That word plays into the hands of the neo-prohibitionists.

Virtuoso

They are according to the Web site. Just another reason not to believe tours: when I took the JD tour last Sunday our guide said the country cocktails were bottled in St. Louis, which I believe, but he also said they sent the product from Lynchburg to there, which I do not believe.

Apparently the country cocktails differ from most of the others, though, in that AB makes them instead of Miller. Assuming he was telling the truth about St. Louis.

Guru

Frankly, I wish they would bring the Lem Motlow brand back. I had a chance to sample this back in the late 60s. No, it wasn't first rate whiskey but the label is way cool.
    Squire