Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: Jack Daniels Green

And the label has more true history than a good bit of what is being sold today.
    Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Thesh View Post
    I would be shocked to find out that is not what they use in their "Country Cocktails." Nothing hides a poor whiskey better than a lot of sugar and artificial flavoring.
    Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    There's actually whiskey in them? I thought they were one of those malt beverages...
    There used to be two varieties, marketed side-by-side. For example, the liquor store where I sometimes work offered the version containing spirits, while the Kroger next door offered the malt-beverage version. Neither place could legally sell the other here in Tennessee.
    Apparently, the malt-beverage version won out -- JD discontinued the spirit version a year or so ago. JD Country Cocktails contain no whiskey, or even GNS.
    Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Apparently, the malt-beverage version won out -- JD discontinued the spirit version a year or so ago. JD Country Cocktails contain no whiskey, or even GNS.
    Take a look at this. Apparently, they are discontinuing the whiskey-based line in favor of the flavored malt beverages. The old spirits ones were in four-packs of 8-oz. bottles while the malt-based ones are in six-packs of 12-oz. bottles. Their original malt was the Jack Daniel's Hard Cola, launched in 2002, which was discontinued. About two years ago they reformulated their Black Jack Cola, Lynchburg Lemonade and Down Home Punch as malt beverages, to create a line, and gave them the Country Cocktails name, which had been the name of the spirits line. Maybe they're still making the spirits ones too, but it looks like they're putting the marketed emphasis on the malt ones and not trying to distinguish between them, which leads me to believe the whiskey-based ones will go away. On the BF corporate web site, for example, they acknowledge the malt ones, but not the whiskey ones.

Alternative terms to "alcopop" (which is a term of derision coined by neo-prohibitionists) are flavored malt beverage or malternatives. RTD, for "ready-to-drink," is a term that covers both types.
    Last edited by cowdery; 12-02-2007 at 20:19.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Excuse me, they were four packs of 200 ml bottles, being spirits products. I also mis-read Tim's post. He notes that the whiskey ones are gone, as they indeed seem to be.

Very interesting.

By all accounts, the original Jack Daniel's Hard Cola bombed and, all along, they were making the cocktails. Now they're going back to the malts and killing the cocktails. I guess they fear having both confuses people and the malts have more market potential.