Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

First foray into cigars

I'm pretty excited....I just purchased my first humidor and a sampler composed of:

1 Arturo Fuente Cuban Belicoso
    1 Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Robusto
    1 Arturo Fuente Hemingway Best Seller
    1 Ashton Aged Maduro #40
    1 Ashton Cabinet Selection #3
    1 Ashton Heritage Puro Sol Belicoso

I had several Fuente Double Chateau 's (both natural and maduro) not too long ago and I really enjoyed them so I thought I'd try some more Funete's.

Looking forward to learning and trying more cigars....

Greg
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Connoisseur

Re: First foray into cigars

I've been into cigars for about two years now. I seem to lean towards the Fuente's myself. I just scored some Anejo's and can't wait to try them. I think the best bang for the buck is the 8-5-8 Flor Fina. I prefer the Maduro but any version is pretty tasty. They usually sell for about $4 so you can't go wrong. If you want to treat yourself Don Carlos is a great if you can get them which I see you can. I think Opus X are a bit over rated but I do buy them when I can, what can I say I'm weak.
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Apprentice

+1 on the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Best Seller. That and the Short Story cigars are two of my favorites. I can't recall that I have ever smoked a Fuente and didn't enjoy it. Some more than others but all were good. Not every brand can say that. The Ashtons are good too just slightly milder IMHO. This time of year I usually don't smoke because there's no yardwork or much grilling out, but maybe a ceramic heater in the garage with the door cracked. Hmmmm.....maybe Sunday night???
    Dave

You're not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holdin' on.-Joe E. Lewis

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkyBanjo View Post
    I've been into cigars for about two years now. I seem to lean towards the Fuente's myself. I just scored some Anejo's and can't wait to try them. I think the best bang for the buck is the 8-5-8 Flor Fina. I prefer the Maduro but any version is pretty tasty. They usually sell for about $4 so you can't go wrong. If you want to treat yourself Don Carlos is a great if you can get them which I see you can. I think Opus X are a bit over rated but I do buy them when I can, what can I say I'm weak.
    Thanks for the recommendation on the Fuentes. I'm still trying to learn all the differences between the lines and what i like. I also prefer Maduro as well.

Greg

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by whiskydude View Post
    +1 on the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Best Seller. That and the Short Story cigars are two of my favorites. I can't recall that I have ever smoked a Fuente and didn't enjoy it. Some more than others but all were good. Not every brand can say that.
    Seems like the online stores i checked are out of a lot of the Funetes so i think a lot of people agree with you. Glad to know I like a quality cigar. Thanks for the rec. sounds like anything Fuente is a winner. Greg

Connoisseur

I have been smoking cigars for 3-4 years myself. I am more of a "smoke while I drink scotch/bourbon/cognac type of person" and primarily single malts. Anyway, I typically smoke infused cigars. I know I know, that doesnt even count right? This past summer I was introduced to a Cuban Hoyo de Monterrey double corona! WOAH! WOW! Now thats a smoke! Creamy, long smoke, great burn, SO smooth its unreal. My brother who is a big cigar buff said I went from "a VW bug" to "a rolls royce". So far everything pales in comaprison to the Hoyo.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBoozer View Post
    I'm pretty excited....I just purchased my first humidor and a sampler composed of:

1 Arturo Fuente Cuban Belicoso
    1 Arturo Fuente Don Carlos Robusto
    1 Arturo Fuente Hemingway Best Seller
    1 Ashton Aged Maduro #40
    1 Ashton Cabinet Selection #3
    1 Ashton Heritage Puro Sol Belicoso

I had several Fuente Double Chateau 's (both natural and maduro) not too long ago and I really enjoyed them so I thought I'd try some more Funete's.

Looking forward to learning and trying more cigars....

Greg

Welcome to the un-PC world of cigars! You list some mighty fine smokes...Can't say that I've ever had a bad Fuente.

Enthusiast

Make sure you check out JR Cigars. Cheaper than anyone else, great selection and quick shipping. Don't be afraid to try the JR alternatives and the JR Ultimate cigars. Excellent for the money.

Another great brand to try is CAO. They have everything from mild mellow smokes to fuller bodied heavies. The CAO Gold double corona are fantastic.

Chris

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by melting View Post
    Make sure you check out JR Cigars. Cheaper than anyone else, great selection and quick shipping. Don't be afraid to try the JR alternatives and the JR Ultimate cigars. Excellent for the money.

Another great brand to try is CAO. They have everything from mild mellow smokes to fuller bodied heavies. The CAO Gold double corona are fantastic.

Chris
    I second the JR Cigars recommendation. The JR Ultimate line is top-notch stuff...Wide range of sizes and wrappers. They are quality cigars at good prices (relatively inexpensive). I've smoked the usual top line cigars (Monte Cristo, La Gloria Cubana, Arturo Fuente, etc.). My experience (20 years) is that the JR Ultimate line is of better quality than those brands.

Connoisseur

JR's is a great place. Be sure to look into Carlos Torano and CAO as well. Excellent cigars. If you like the maduro, be sure to check out the Torano Signature selection.