Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Apprentice

WTAS or ORVW 15?

Help me decide. I have found WTAS (3) locally for $74 per bottle, and found a shop with ORVW 15 labled bottles for the same price. Which would you buy? Both seem to be difficult, but not impossible, to come by.

Tim

Connoisseur

Re: WTAS or ORVW 15?

American Spirit is a brand new release and Old Rip 15 is discontinued for a while, so there is undoubtedly more AS to be had right now. That said, 75 for ORVW 15 is very dear. Usually priced in the 40 to 50 range.

-Mike
    "This is the real article. It is double-rectified busthead from Madison County, aged in the keg. A little spoonful would do you a power of good."

-True Grit by Charles Portis

Guru

Also that WTAS usally goes for $84 in KY and $93 in MI.
    So $74 is a great price.
    ovh

Connoisseur

People turn up ORVW 15's every now and then but I think you're less likely to find one of those and a WT:AS. From my own experience, I've unfortunately never found an ORVW 15 on the shelf whereas I have found WT:AS on the shelf and I've been to a lot of liquor stores! Then again, it could just be my location...
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Guru

I was under the impression that Old Rip Van Winkle 15yo was discontinued permanatly and is replaced by Pappy Van Winkle 15yo.
    ovh

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by scratchline View Post
    American Spirit is a brand new release and Old Rip 15 is discontinued for a while, so there is undoubtedly more AS to be had right now. That said, 75 for ORVW 15 is very dear. Usually priced in the 40 to 50 range.

-Mike

I have three bottles of PVW15 coming my way but haven't run accross the old ORVW 15 bottles. I remember seeing a post by Julian asking why all the fussing about the ORVW15, the only difference is the bottle not the bourbon. True or not, I don't know. At the time, I'm sure it was but I'm not so sure now. During transition from OR to Pappy, did the 15 go from SW to Bernheim?

Speaking of which, just saw Bernheim Weated for $50. I thought the price was ridiculous!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by NickAtMartinis View Post
    At the time, I'm sure it was but I'm not so sure now. During transition from OR to Pappy, did the 15 go from SW to Bernheim?
    I believe it was all SW at the time but according to this thread this was not the case for last years release. I have no idea about this years release though, assuming there was one.
    /\../\

"I've had eighteen straight whiskies, I think that's the record . . ." - Dylan Thomas

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by gothbat View Post
    I believe it was all SW at the time but according to this thread this was not the case for last years release. I have no idea about this years release though, assuming there was one.
    To be honest, I hope it's Bernheim and not SW. I was drinking some PVW20 last week and while I really liked it, I thought it was a bit too sweet. Of course, I just had some Stagg so that probably was the problem.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

If it's actually Old Rip 15 and not Pappy 15, then it's most assuredly SW, but if it's Pappy 15 there might be a little Bernheim in there. Still, I'd say probably not. Either one is most likely all SW.

But as to the original question, you're talking apples and oranges. They are about as different as two well-aged bourbons can be, they're both superb, and they're both scarce and only going to get more scarce.

If it were me, I'd pick the Wild Turkey American Spirit, not because I think it's better, but because I own and have drunk a lot more old SW than I have old WT.

Connoisseur

I just finished a pour of PVW20 and the flavor is very one dimensional to me. I just opened this about 2-3 weeks ago and every time I've had a pour, I'm dissapointed. Last time, I thought it was due to my having drunk Stagg first, but this time I had the PVW20 first. I guess I just don't get, other than to see my 'buds have matured and have certainly acquired a taste for rye'd bourbon over wheated.

Here's to hoping my PVW15's are Bernheim.