Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Guru

Re: Woodford Reserve

Yay! I am still involved in a personal battle to decide on what my very favorite bourbon is. The contestants are Woodford Reserve and Rare Breed. Every time I pour one or the other, it seems to be the best. I am staying pretty confused.

But I would be very disappointed if they stopped selling WR, even if the reason was to sell something "better", instead.

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Yeah Woodford is a good brand. Anyone tried Presidents Reserve? I think it's out of country or at duty free stores. Brown Forman does a lot of things and one is to sponsor a lot of our public television in Ky. When they remind you it's "commercial free tv" they roll a little footage and acknowledge the contributors, they show the L&G Presidents Reserve along side of the woodford. I guess there are some whiz's at BF , I hope they realize they have a hit with WR and leave it alone , develope something else with the Pot Still whiskey. I can see your other point as well, a buddy of mine was over last Saturday. I had got a flat on a back tractor tire it has calcium cloride and water in it for weight . A real pain to fix . A tire shop charges about $135.00 to do it, so I do mine myself. We were making a party out of it as well.Started with Blanton's then went to Rare Breed. The RB held it's own it didn't seem like a step down , it was different but fine nonetheless. We did hit the Ky Gentleman now that's a different story. Actually it's a decent whiskey but it smells like rubbing alcohol .But the smell doesn't carry over to the taste Weird huh?

Bobby Cox

Guru

What's the calcium chloride for, antifreeze?

Yeah, that is weird about the Ky Gentleman. Probably not weird enough to try it, though.

I'm drinking Rare Breed, right now. One of the 50 ml bottles that came free on a bottle of WT 101. Now, THAT's a neck gift.

Tim

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

Yep antifreeze and wieght . I got the stuff to deal with it there's an adapter that goes on the tire then a garden hose, I chain it to an engine hoist and lay it over . I run the hose over the hill to a barrell and collect it all then wash everything with soap and water. The tube has to be Vulcanised or replaced.Put it all back together and I have a pump for my garden that I transfer the Calcium cloride and water back . I always let it run in water to clean it out. $135.00 seems high but to tell the truth I haven't offered to do one for that price for anyone . Maybe if I was younger . Ky Gentleman if I buy another I will sit it on the shelf to look at , I can drink it but can't figure out the smell.

Bobby Cox

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re the tire thing, I love the fact that you're taking the money you would be paying to the garage and spending it on whiskey.

Re the Kentucky Gent, try this. Pour some into a glass and let it "air out" for about 15 minutes before you drink it. That may help the unpleasant odor.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cowdery.home.netcom.com>--Chuck Cowdery</A>

Advanced Taster

That does seem to help various good hi-proof bourbons. lots of good tricks to help out the flavor profile. life is good -den