Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Disciple

Air Travel with Bourbon, Pt II

The old thread on this subject has expired and I was just looking up this info for holiday travel purposes and figured it might be helpful to others as well. Please post below if you have any additions or corrections.

You cannot bring bourbon aboard as a carry-on unless you bring it packaged in 3 oz. (or smaller) containers in a clear quart-size plastic ziploc bag. My understanding (although this is not certain) is that you could fill the ziploc bag with multiple 3 oz. containers filled with the same liquid, so if things turn desparate, you could prob get as much as 18 oz. (532ml) of bourbon on with you via carry-on.

For checked luggage, you can carry up to 5 Liters of alcohol, which would be six 750ml bottles and a 500ml or smaller bottle. I'm not sure how literally they interpret those regs though, and it's possible they only allow five full-size bottles regardless of whether they are 750ml or 1L.

Any bourbon over 140 proof (some bottlings of Stagg) cannot be placed in checked luggage. Note, however, that the high-proof prohibition does NOT apply to carrying the same 140+ proof liquid in 3 oz. containers in your carry-on...

Any alcoholic beverage less than 24% alcohol (beer and wine) is not subject to the 5L limit, so you could check a full case of wine in a wine shipper (as I am planning to do in a few weeks).

Traveling with Special Items: Alcoholic Beverages
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1189.shtm

Carrying Alcohol In Your Checked Baggage
    Please note, you can’t take alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum, in your checked luggage.

You may take up to five liters of alcohol with alcohol content between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if it’s packaged in a sealable bottle or flask.

Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations.

See also:

TSA Permitted & Prohibited Items: Food & Drinks
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#9

Duty-Free Liquids:
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...duty_free.shtm
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Re: Air Travel with Bourbon, Pt II

One thing I had a problem with last time I flew was the fact that the screeners didn't know the difference between proof and ABV, luckily they believed me when I informed them of the difference. They were about to not allow on some 80 proof liquor, believing it was above 70% ABV.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

Re: Air Travel with Bourbon, Pt II

Great info! Thanks!
    Jeremy
    www.awksome.com

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be.”
    --Kurt Vonnegut

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Re: Air Travel with Bourbon, Pt II -- Correction

Please note the corrections, below, to the statements highlighted in red.

Quote Originally Posted by Sijan View Post
    Please post below if you have any additions or corrections.

You cannot bring bourbon aboard as a carry-on unless you bring it packaged in 3 oz. (or smaller) containers in a clear quart-size plastic ziploc bag. My understanding (although this is not certain) is that you could fill the ziploc bag with multiple 3 oz. containers filled with the same liquid, so if things turn desparate, you could prob get as much as 18 oz. (532ml) of bourbon on with you via carry-on.

Any bourbon over 140 proof (some bottlings of Stagg) cannot be placed in checked luggage. Note, however, that the high-proof prohibition does NOT apply to carrying the same 140+ proof liquid in 3 oz. containers in your carry-on...

You may take up to five liters of alcohol with alcohol content between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if it’s packaged in a sealable bottle or flask.
    Once again, TSA's ineptitude and incompetence (I have no love for these *&$#@%^ after they stole three bottles of bourbon from me -- but that is another story available elsewhere on this board) is shown by the failure to clarify in their carry-on travel guidelines that the Federal Hazardous Material Exceptions codified at 49 CFR 175.10(a)(4) are still the law of the land.

Be advised:

Alcoholic beverages over 140 proof are not allowed on airplanes, regardless whether they are in checked luggage or attempted as carry-ons.

Alcoholic beverages over 48 proof, but not over 140 proof, can be carried on airplanes, but must be in "unopened retail packagings." If you attempted to carry 50 ml. alcoholic beverage minis inside a one quart zip-lock plastic bag in your carry-on luggage, you would still bump into TSA's policy (ok, maybe I'm being too hard on them) that the 3 oz. liquid/gel carry-on exception is for toiletries. Bourbon is, of course, a known complexion astringent, right?

Here is the best guide to the what you can and cannot take on board an aircraft in the U.S.: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...ersAndCrew.pdf (scroll to page 3 of 9).

Safe travels, all!
    Last edited by Barrel_Proof; 12-09-2007 at 11:14.
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Quote Originally Posted by Barrel_Proof View Post
    If you attempted to carry 50 ml. alcoholic beverage minis inside a one quart zip-lock plastic bag in your carry-on luggage, you would still bump into TSA's policy (ok, maybe I'm being too hard on them) that the 3 oz. liquid/gel carry-on exception is for toiletries. Bourbon is, of course, a known complexion astringent, right?
    FWIW I have been travelling quite a bit lately and always have at least one mini, sometimes two, of WTRB that I keep in a zip lock baggie and lately have also had a mini Smirnoff Vodka - just in case ya know . I have never had any problem with getting those through security, they look at it in with some toiletries, often thank me for following the proper procedure, sometimes show it to other travellers who didn't and carry on.

Then again, I also carried for the longest time a smallish hunting style pocket knife until it FINALLY got noticed on a flight from Seattle to Portland. I figure now if I have to take out a terrorist on a flight I'll just beat him to death with my boat anchor of a huge 17" laptop computer! I also recently heard from the boyfriend of my best friend's sister, who just went to work for Horizon Air as a pilot, that some pilots are starting to carry handguns on planes.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Disciple

The contents of the ziploc bag aren't limited to toiletries - food and drink are permitted as well.

See the Food & Drink chart at this TSA website:
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#9

Among the permitted items for carry-on:

Beverages brought from home or purchased before reaching the security checkpoint in a 3 oz. or smaller container and in your quart-size, zip-top plastic bag.

Note that there is nothing limiting carry-on beverages to non-alcoholic beverages. Note also, however, that does not mean you're allowed to consume them while on board the plane...

I also don't see any regulations stating that the bottles have to be labeled. I would think that many bottles in people's ziploc bags would not be labeled as many people are buying generic 3 oz/100ml containers and filling them with liquid toiletries from larger packages in order to comply with the TSA regs.

Cliff is probably right about not being able to take 140+ proof whiskey aboard in carry-on, as it does appear to be barred by 49 CFR 175.10(a)(4), although I have no idea how they would know unless you carried it on in minis with a proof label.

For reference, here is the text of 49 CFR 175.10(a):

(a) This subchapter does not apply to the following hazardous
    materials when carried by aircraft passengers or crewmembers provided
    the requirements of this section are met:
    (4) Alcoholic beverages containing:
    (i) Not more than 24% alcohol by volume; or
    (ii) More than 24% and not more than 70% alcohol by volume when in
    unopened retail packagings not exceeding 5 liters (1.3 gallons) carried
    in carry-on or checked baggage, with a total net quantity per person of
    5 liters (1.3) gallons for such beverages.
    Last edited by Sijan; 12-09-2007 at 15:37.
    -Dan

Well gang, we are getting some real clarity on this. If your booze is 140 proof or less and in "unopened retail packagings," it would fall within the CFR exception and, thus, TSA may permit you to take it onboard. TSA may issue additional regulations, but not ones that are inconsistent with those set forth in 49 CFR 175.10(a).
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Quote Originally Posted by Sijan View Post
    The contents of the ziploc bag aren't limited to toiletries - food and drink are permitted as well.

See the Food & Drink chart at this TSA website:
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#9
    One of my beefs with TSA is their lack of precision.

On this site, TSA states: "Travelers may now carry through security checkpoints travel-size toiletries (3 ounces or less) that fit comfortably in ONE, QUART-SIZE, clear plastic, zip-top bag." http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1189.shtm

But, as Dan points out, this TSA statement is misleading, because TSA does allow more than toiletries in the plastic bag.
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_Of_Life View Post
    ....I also recently heard from the boyfriend of my best friend's sister, who just went to work for Horizon Air as a pilot, that some pilots are starting to carry handguns on planes.
    Horizon Air must have at least a few thoughtful, intelligent and pragmatic people working for them. I wonder how long that will last.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Barrel_Proof View Post
    One of my beefs with TSA is their lack of precision.
    Then something else you'll love is the fact that the allowed size of liquid container is actually 3.4 oz (100ml), NOT 3 oz. Apparently "3-1-1" is just too catchy of a slogan to mess with and TSA just hasn't bothered updating their website...
    -Dan