Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Apprentice

Re: Air Travel with Bourbon, Pt II

OR, if all else fails, you could try what this guy in Germany did when he was told he couldn't carry his liter of Vodka onto a plane....

"BERLIN - A man nearly died from alcohol poisoning after quaffing a liter (two pints) of vodka at an airport security check instead of handing it over to comply with new carry-on rules, police said Wednesday.

The incident occurred at the Nuremberg airport on Tuesday, where the 64-year-old man was switching planes on his way home to Dresden from a holiday in Egypt.

New airport rules prohibit passengers from carrying larger quantities of liquid onto planes, and he was told at a security check he would have to either throw out the bottle of vodka or pay a fee to have his carry-on bag checked as cargo.

Instead, he chugged the bottle down and was quickly unable to stand or otherwise function, police said.

A doctor called to the scene determined he had possibly life-threatening alcohol poisoning, and he was sent to a Nuremberg clinic for treatment.

The man, whose name was not released, is expected to be able to complete his journey home in a few days."
    Brad

Apprentice

As a side note, if you're travelling internationally you may need to package any liquid(duty free or otherwise) gel or cream/paste over 3.4 oz/100ml into your checked baggage which you will claim right after you clear immigrations. I work in the airline industry and many people return from overseas only to find that they must be processed thru TSA screening before they can catch their next flight or even leave the airport. Local passengers arriving from international cities into Cincinnati (CVG) where I work, must be rescreened just as those who are connecting to other flights, before leaving the airport. This is due to the initial design of the airport, pre-9/11, where there is not a direct route from the International Arrivals area out to the main exit without also having access to the secure and sterile concourse area. For Delta arrivals this is true of JFK and ATL also. Depending on the airline and airport this may not always be the case. If you were to accidentally forget, you are usually allowed to opt to check one of your carry on bags with your stash in it and hope for the best. Don't lose the booze!!
    Dave

You're not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holdin' on.-Joe E. Lewis

Advanced Taster

So after having packed 13 dusty/rare finds (10 in one box and 3 in my roller bag) in my checked luggage heading back home from the holidays, I pop open my laptop while waiting for my flight. While I knew about the 140 proof rule, I decided to check this thread just to see if there was anything else I hadn't picked up on before. Surely I was OK right?!?!

AAAAAHHHH! I had no idea about the 5 liter rule! Panic sets in. What will the TSA do?!?! Will they confiscate it all? Will they really enjoy the bottle of WT Tribute that I found?!? Or will they hold it for me? Yeah right, fat chance huh! Or even worse, maybe they would just throw it away! Oh the horror!!

Or, maybe, just maybe, could I get lucky?!?! Maybe they don't know the rule book that well and might let it through! Hell, out of the thousands of new employees the TSA has hired, not all of them can know the rule book backwards and forwards, right? Could I really be that lucky? Or maybe they will think it is wine, and let it through! Who knows, maybe they are still in the forgiving Christmas spirit! Maybe they would feel pity on me and let it though! But come on, who am I kidding, this is the TSA!!! The "I don't give a crap" TSA! What would happen?!? Argh! I am such an idiot!

One tight connection and many hours later I am sitting at the baggage carousel sweating it out. And just then, HALLELUJAH!!! Both of them pop out with all contents in tact. And get this, they even opened the box for inspection and taped it back up.

Needless to say, I have learned my lesson. You can press your luck if you wish, but I won't be anymore!
    Steve
    "Rye whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry. If a tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die" - Tex Ritter

Apprentice

Does anyone know if I can check opened bottles of bourbon? If so, is there a good way to seal them like packing tape over the cork?

The reason I ask is that I'm going to Chicago to visit Binny's, er, my inlaws. I'd like to try some of things I buy while I'm still there. I just want to make sure that I can still bring it back safely.
    Tim

Enthusiast

I used to like to have a half pint on me to be able to pour my own drinks..... i'd order a ginger ale..... and add...

Advanced Taster

One thing to keep in mind regarding the "rules".

Each airport and each employee will possibly have a different understanding or interpretation of the rules.

I have spent many years traveling and have always carried a handgun and ammo in my checked baggage wherever I go except Europe.

I know the rules and follow them religiously but have gotten in the habit of carrying a printed copy of both the TSA regs and the particular airline regs that I am using. I have had on too numerous occasions had to seek the help of a supervisor and show them their own rules and the law in order to get them to comply with their own rules.

Keep in mind that some airlines have policies that conflict with TSA rules so be sure and check with the airline you are using before assuming that because it is allowed by TSA that it will be allowed by the airline.

I would suggest that you carry a copy of the airline rules and TSA rules regarding alcohol in order to keep from losing something that is valuable to you because someone does not know their own rules and regulations.
    When re-arranged, the letters in "whiskey" spell "key wish," those in "spirits" spell "sip it sir," and those in "moonshine" spell "in no homes."

Enthusiast

What I understand from here is, if I come to the US one day, I can return home with up to 5 unopened 75 cl. or 1 lt. bottles of bourbon, right? And this will be enough for me for one trip.