Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Thumbs up Hello from Eastern Tennessee

Brand new to this bourbon game and just found this forum. Looking forward to learning a lot and getting a bunch of recommendations from you guys. My bourbon selection only consists of 4 right now as follows:
    AH Hirsch 16 yo
    Pappy Van Winkly 20 y0
    Blanton single barrel
    Basil Hayden

I have been a wine and beer drinker for my 57 years but thought that it was time to get a little more sophisicated. I love all 4 of the bourbons that I have but really want to expand my experiences so keep those recommendations coming. Would also appreciate information regarding if it is worth a trip into Kentucky at the distillers to get some great bottles.

Ok, my first question of many is which pour do you consider the "Don't miss this pour. You have to experience it?" Have to say it would have to go some to be better to me than the Pappy. Thanks in advance for any response. Looking forward to this!

Guru

Re: Hello from Eastern Tennessee

Dave,

Welcome to the forum.

You're starting out with the top bourbons. Tastes do vary. Many including myself think very highly of PVW 20. PVW 15 gives it a good run and some prefer it to the 20.

I like my bourbon neat at around 90 proof. Van Winkle Special Reserve Lot B is a favorite at about 1/2 the price of PVW 20. Eagle Rare SB and ER 17 are also favorites of mine.

Read, learn, and taste you'll find your way.

Will

Talk about starting at the top -- whew, please know you don't have to spend that kind of money to get an excellent bourbon experience. (Nothing wrong, of course -- and very much right -- with the bottlings you list. But they're generally not considered beginner bourbons.)
    It will strike no one, of course, more poignantly than me: but I don't know whether to feel proud or horrified by the recent influx of bourbonistas from Tennessee. I carried the flag here virtually solo for several years, while my brethren carried home their Jack...It might be time for a Tennessee bourbon get-together. Of course, I'd think the center part of the state would be ideal... (I might even have an interesting bottle or two to offer )
    Tim

Enthusiast

Tn Bourbon,

Sounds like a great idea to me. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to try the Hirsch and Pappy as I had read so much about them. I know they are special occasions pours and my they are good. Still looking for my go to "favorite".

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    Talk about starting at the top -- whew, please know you don't have to spend that kind of money to get an excellent bourbon experience.
    Don't listen to him.....yes, you do have to spend that kind of money to get an excellent bourbon experience (IMHO), but try the Pappy 15....very good and you can include me in the group that likes it better than Pappy 20. And then get yourself a 2006 Wm Larue Weller....my favorite! I don't need anything else

Yes....I'm the Bad Girl!!!

Thanks JIM!!!!

Apprentice

I am up for a Tennessee tasting. I will be happy to bring a few bottles.

Virtuoso

Welcome, Dave. You're starting out, as has been mentioned, with some mighty fine hooch.
    You can get Four Roses in different expressions in Tennessee and I'd recommend the Small Batch and (especially) the Single Barrel. I hate to sound like a Four Roses evangelist, but there's something really special about it that I haven't found in any other bourbon. Maybe it's just personal preference, maybe a lack of experience with other fine bourbons (I live in NH and there's a limited selection here), but the FR immediately impresses with its high quality.
    Not very expensive in TN, either.
    Good luck on your journey of discovery. Wow, that sounds pretty new age.
    Here's to ya. Cheers!
    PS- I was just in east TN last week, a truly beautiful place. The little streams and rivers in east TN are unlike any others anywhere, hope to fish them someday.

Connoisseur

Strongly suggest the following rivers: Watauga, Clinch, and South Holston. The small streams around the Watauga are particularly good! Trout, cigars, and whiskey make great companions.

Novice

Good to hear from you, my dad's family is from Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN and that's where I went to school. East Tenn. is truly a special place and I wouldn't cry too hard if I were to move to Johnson City. My great-grandfather was a distiller of fine small batch E. Tenn whiskey, carefully transported to NC in the trunk of a car in Mason jars. Nothing like whiskey condensed in a car radiator!

Connoisseur

Moonshine and East Tennessee have a long history. I live on Thunder Road, and have heard many great stories about that history. Still some great moonshine made here. Jimmy Russell was signing Wild Turkey bottles at a local store, and I was telling him about our local Hooch producers and their quality of product. He reminded me that he made "shine" every day at his distillery. Couldn't argue with that!
    Mike
    "Some people were born on third base and think they hit a triple"