Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

1926 Macallan $54,000

When people post their "what's it worth" queries, this is what they're hoping to hear:

On Saturday December 8 Christie’s conducted the first auction of spirits to be held in New York since Prohibition. The total take was $304,800.

The top single-bottle lot was a 1926 Macallan, which sold for an outstanding $54,000 and became the most expensive bottle of scotch ever sold by Christie’s anywhere in the world. Bottled in 1986 after spending a remarkable sixty years in wood barrel, the bottle was expected to fetch between $20,000 to $30,000. It was bought by a New York private collector.

The top American whiskey was a bottle of rye made at Mt. Vernon in 2003 and bottled there in 2006, which sold for $6,000.

Guru

Re: 1926 Macallan $54,000

60 years in wood?
    If this had been bourbon in the hot KY summers would there have been any left after 60 years?
    I wonder how much of this scotch evaporated.
    ovh

Guru

Smile Re: 1926 Macallan $54,000

If you buy you better drink it! It has to have one unique taste...after that long....I assume it was in a sherry cask..I would guess that it is very dark and almost like a light syrup in consistency....all of the sherry would have entered plus wood phenols etc. Have others seen or tasted anything really old.....over 30 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    If you buy you better drink it! It has to have one unique taste...after that long....I assume it was in a sherry cask..I would guess that it is very dark and almost like a light syrup in consistency....all of the sherry would have entered plus wood phenols etc. Have others seen or tasted anything really old.....over 30 years?
    Quite possibly the 60-year descriptor is for the youngest whiskey. A 62-yo Dalmore from which I managed a smidge of a taste (search elsewhere here) included whisky which had been 'solera-ized' from as far back as the 1860s, according to the bottler, White & Mackay.
    Tim

Virtuoso

How did a three year old rye go for $6,000? Is this some sort of collector's bottle?

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    How did a three year old rye go for $6,000? Is this some sort of collector's bottle?
    Somebody correct me if I am wrong, it is a bottle from Washington's Mt. Vernon Distillery. So someone believes it to be worth that as a collectible.

There is some info here. Pretty interesting...it has been discussed on Whiskeycast.
    Bob O.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bob O. View Post
    Somebody correct me if I am wrong, it is a bottle from Washington's Mt. Vernon Distillery. So someone believes it to be worth that as a collectible.

There is some info here. Pretty interesting...it has been discussed on Whiskeycast.
    I was trying to find out if there were any other American Whiskeys/Bourbons in the auction and the prices but was unable to.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Bourbonian of the Year 2007

Michter's Lot at Christie's

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBoozer View Post
    I was trying to find out if there were any other American Whiskeys/Bourbons in the auction and the prices but was unable to.
    The only other American whiskey lot was a 12 bottle lot of Michter's: 2) 1.75s; 5) 750s; 4) Fifths; and a mini. Five of the 12 bottles were King Tut or Queen Nefertiti Decanters.

There were "loose tops on numerous bottles, some with broken corks." Notwithstanding the poor condition of the lot, these 12 bottles sold for a total of ...

$ 1920.
    Last edited by Barrel_Proof; 12-11-2007 at 20:21.
    ____ ____
    Barrel_Proof

Connoisseur

Re: Michter's Lot at Christie's

Thanks Cliff! Very interesting. I've never seen a 1.75 Michters before, that would be cool to see.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Bourbonian of the Year 2009 and Virtuoso

Tim brought a half gallon King Tut decanter to the Gazebo back at the 2004 Festival. It is definitely an eye catcher. I'll bet that is what was at the auction. There may be a picture of it here at SB somewhere.....I don't know for sure.

Randy