Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

Asking For Direction

Gentelmen, I am a life long Bourbon drinker but as I get older I find myself wanting to try different things more and more. would someon suggest a good starter single malt. The only scotch I have ever tried is JW Black. Couldn't stand it. maby single malt will be better.$0.0 - $75.00

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Asking For Direction

I would suggest Highland Park 12 years old, which is about $50.00 in our market but I've seen it for less in some U.S. outlets. Alternatively, Balvenie Double Barrel, but I prefer Highland Park all things considered.

To me it has almost everything you want in a good malt: roundness, depth, some peat, some honey and fruit, it really has it all.

The late British whisky author, Michael Jackson, famously called it "the greatest all-rounder" in malt whisky, and I agree fully.

In bourbon, I just indicated in another thread that Elijah Craig 12 years old - which probably goes for half of what Highland Park does or not that much more - is in my view the best all-round bourbon currently available today. It is, in bourbon, every bit the equal of Highland Park in my opinion.

Gary

Taster

HP 12 is a very, very good whisky, as was mentioned. In some markets you can get the HP18 for fairly cheap- it is outstanding, bit more smokyness than the 12.

A much neglected Sm that many newbies like is Glenfiddich 15, not the 12. The 15 has a wonderful balance of honey, malyness, oak. It is a bit light in body, but a really fine dram.

To get a sense of what a malty whisky is, Glengoyne 10 is a very nice, clean malt. Simple and straight forward, it can provide a nice idea of what malt tasts like, as some whiskies can feature corn or rye.

Should you wish to go for something with more intense pepper favors, Talisker 10 is lovely. The Talisker 175 is a rich malt, complex, a bit more gentle and complex, yet not as "true" to the Talisker name. For a powerfully medicinal malt, Laphroiag 10 is a classic..salt and seawead, yet with a sweet malty middle.

The best deal in single malt is perhaps Dalmore 12. A fine malt that is often around 30bucks, it has an orangy quality, a bit of smoke, also a good all arounder..

Enthusiast

I'd recommend the Macallan 15 year old Fine Oak as an excellent introduction to single malts for a bourbon drinker. Not a peaty one, but subtle, balanced and a bit sweet, and eminently drinkable. Macallans are known for being aged in sherry casks, but the fine oak series uses a combination of sherry and bourbon barrels. The best balance of any SMS I've yet tried.

The Balvenie 15 year old Single Barrel is another good choice. That one is aged in a used bourbon barrel, I believe.

Guru

Thumbs up Re: Asking For Direction

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhead View Post

The Balvenie 15 year old Single Barrel is another good choice. That one is aged in a used bourbon barrel, I believe.
    I am no expert on single malt scotch, but I will second this one. I have a bottle and it is delicious. It is the only high-end SMS I have ever owned, but it is much better than The Glenfiddich and The Glenlivet I drank, years ago (although those are pretty good, too).

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I am no expert on single malt scotch, but I will second this one. I have a bottle and it is delicious. It is the only high-end SMS I have ever owned, but it is much better than The Glenfiddich and The Glenlivet I drank, years ago (although those are pretty good, too).

Tim

The Balvenie 15 are single barrel, and vary. They are all very good. Best not to refer to all GFs and GL in the same breath- some are average at best, and some your out of this world. Especially some of the older indy Glenlivets- I have one form D and M wine's Afficianado's club that is in my all time top ten. The Mac FO 15 is a good, gentle malt that is made from a mix of bourbon and sherry casks. I really like it a great deal- those who demand all sherry from Macallan are disapointed... On the other hand, the latest 12 year old sherry macallan's are not my cup of tea- very sappy and grappy//

Taster

Thank you gentlemen for the advice.
    "To your good health".

J.W.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I know many here would be interested in your reaction based on what you buy.

Gary

Guru

Red face Re: Asking For Direction

Quote Originally Posted by drrich1965 View Post
    Best not to refer to all GFs and GL in the same breath- some are average at best, and some your out of this world. Especially some of the older indy Glenlivets- I have one form D and M wine's Afficianado's club that is in my all time top ten.
    Sorry, I am not a scotch guy. I meant to be referring to the standard 12-year olds that you see, everywhere. I should have been more specific.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Sorry, I am not a scotch guy. I meant to be referring to the standard 12-year olds that you see, everywhere. I should have been more specific.

Tim
    No problem- just wanted to make sure to encorage folks to explore some fine whiskies by both distilleries..the new glenlivet nadurra is outstnading..