Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Hybrid View

Novice

Newbie from Maryland

I am student and second generation bourbon drinker although I admit that my forays into bourbon drinking often reflect my budget. However, I am hoping to expand my bourbon horizons and have already gotten some great ideas / recommendations from this site. I tend to drink Wild Turkey 101 (Rare Breed on special occasions) neat and admit to mixing my JB with coke or having it on the rocks.

Although it seems that the site frowns on questions in the introduction, I am curious in general where most people actually buy their bourbon. A lot of my local liquor stores (in Baltimore) have a limited stock and seem uncooperative in terms of special orders.

Anyway, I look forward to learning more about bourbon and hopefully contributing something useful to the site.

Jess

Enthusiast

Re: Newbie from Maryland

Don't let anyone scare you off from asking questions. I usually but my liquor in New Hampshire. Prices are good and they have pretty much anything I want. No Van Winkle's but who can afford to drink that all the time anyways. Plus, I could just drive 15 miles south to get that in Massachusetts.

You'll do well to try all the offerings from Wild Turkey. Then maybe just start trying different things. You don't really need to spend a lot of money. Don't be shy about trying some scotch and Irish whiskeys too. John Powers Irish is a wicked deal around here at $14.99. Just get what ever and see what you really like.

Chris

Connoisseur

Welcome to SB Jess,
    I live in State Controlled WA., and have no choice. We can't mail order. I think we have found a few stores that seem more willing than others to try and order, don't give up on that. Just use your charm and interest and try a few stores to see if one will come through for you.
    A short search will lead you to some great bottles for low dollars. Elijah Craig 12, Fighting Cock, OGD BIB, Weller Antique, JTS Brown...all nice bottles for low $ (at least here in WA.).
    Enjoy your search.

Last edited by T47; 12-10-2007 at 17:10.
    Todd

Disciple

JLS, you may find some interesting old stock at older mom-and-pop liquor stores in the Baltimore area. Also, the MD folks on this forum can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's Montgomery County that has particularly good pricing and selection in MD. I have also found some interesting items in a store near the DE line.

Of course, you can also order online from Binny's or Sam's, etc.

Update: here is the list of liquor currently on sale in Montgomery County, and the prices are very impressive: http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/Ap...s_specials.cfm
    Last edited by Sijan; 12-11-2007 at 07:54.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Apprentice

Welcome!

How often do you get down to D.C.? If you plan on coming down, drop me a pm, I'll try to help you out.

Connoisseur

Hi Jess, Dan is right - the best prices around are in Montgomery County. For bourbon, Bartonsville is particularly good in terms of selection.

Burtonsville MCDLC
    15604 Columbia Pike
    Burtonsville, MD 20866
    Phone: 240-773-2007
    Hours: Mon - Sat 10:00 am to 8:00 pm

Welcome to the area. You'll find lots of great recommendations for what to explore here.

Mark

I love him whose soul squanders itself, who wants no thanks...for he always gives away and does not want to preserve himself.
    -Nietzsche

Advanced Taster

I was in an MC liquor store today and offerred to advise a customer staring intently into the bourbon section. He politely refused, and after a moment grabbed a 1.75L bottle of Jim Beam White (JBW) for $20.99. Didn't even look at the 1.75L bottle of Old Forester that was for sale at the same price.

Some people just don't want to learn. You're different. Welcome to the Forum!

Novice

That store near the DE line is probably State Line Liquors near Elkton, MD and Newark, DE. It's a great beer store, too.

http://statelineliquors.com/