Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Increase in price

While at my favorite local retailer yesterday, I noticed 2 significant price increases:

Knob Creek (750ml): Was $22.00, now $28.00 (27% inc.)
    Eagle Rare 10yr SB (750ml): Was $20, now $24.00 (20% inc.)

These increases occurred in the last month.

This is in South Florida. Is the rest of the country experiencing these price increases, or is this confined to this particular retailer?

-Kevin

Apprentice

Re: Increase in price

I have to sell Knob Creek 750's for $29.99 now.

ER 10yr is now $26.99.

(Washington, D.C.)

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by CrashRiley View Post
    I have to sell Knob Creek 750's for $29.99 now.

ER 10yr is now $26.99.

(Washington, D.C.)
    Wow I just bought a bottle of ER 10 SB for $19.99....better go get some more.
    "That rug really tied the room together" -- Jeffery Lebowski

Enthusiast

I mentioned the same thing about the Eagle Rare about a month ago. They have had two price increases in the past year. The small batch collection hasn't really moved this year. I bought 6 bottles of the Eagle rare for $18.99 the last time it was on sale. Now it's $23.99. Still not bad for the quality I'd say.

There has also been a slight increase in the Wild Turkey bottles.

Chris

Disciple

ERSB has been badly underpriced for quite awhile now. It's still a bargain at anything under the mid-$30s.
    -Dan

Who stole the cork from my breakfast?

Quote Originally Posted by Sijan View Post
    ERSB has been badly underpriced for quite awhile now. It's still a bargain at anything under the mid-$30s.
    In Tennessee, it's always been just badly priced -- it's never been under $30, and now is $33-ish. Even Buffalo Trace recently took a price hike to $22.
    It was only a matter of time till BT's bottlings started inching upward -- they've been on allocation even with limited distribution for quite some time. Now, with the distillery trying to take many brands national (or, at least, more widely sold) it must, in effect, discourage some value buyers in order to have enough whiskey to attract even more upscale buyers.
    Tim

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post
    In Tennessee, it's always been just badly priced -- it's never been under $30, and now is $33-ish. Even Buffalo Trace recently took a price hike to $22.
    It was only a matter of time till BT's bottlings started inching upward -- they've been on allocation even with limited distribution for quite some time. Now, with the distillery trying to take many brands national (or, at least, more widely sold) it must, in effect, discourage some value buyers in order to have enough whiskey to attract even more upscale buyers.
    Sounds like a rather difficult position for BT to say the least. When I am in the Nashville & Memphis metro areas, I have noticed prices higher than 1-2 years ago for BT products and every other distillery/company as well. In W TN areas some brands lower and some higher compared to M TN areas. Don't get to E TN much, so I don't know how they compare. I've always heard the distributors pretty much control the flow & prices in the state.

As for ERSB in particular, I have seen prices all over the board from $20 to $35 in TN. In some spots down the eastern side of MS, I have seen it for $16-18. I cannot recall one label/brand having so much price difference as ERSB seems to have from place to place. All I can figure is the old supply/demand equation coming into play as well as who is 'controlling' the prices - be it a distributor state or board state (such as MS).

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TNbourbon View Post

This past Saturday I picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace at a local
    Hy Vee. Reading this thread prompted me to dig out my receipt. I payed $22.39, which I think is what I payed a couple months ago. In any case even if it edges past the 25 dollar mark I'd much rather that than have the brand suffer from too much success.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Sijan View Post
    Personally, I did not like ERSB 10yr. After taking a sip I sold the bottle to a neighbor. If you like it you are welcome to cross the AL Bridge, where you can buy 750ml for under $20.

That said, it would be strange if bourbon prices did not rise because grain and energy costs are rising, and it's only natural to pass current costs on to current customers. The oil companies do the same thing when it comes to pricing gasoline immediately after crude oil prices rise.

The downside for us is that there is undoubtedly more room to increase prices on the high-end products than those on the low-end.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon2 View Post
    Personally, I did not like ERSB 10yr. After taking a sip I sold the bottle to a neighbor.
    I got a bottle of ERSB 10yo and I was very underwhelmed.
    I thought it was rather bland.
    So much so that I have always passed on the ER 17yo from the BTAC.
    I did not sell it, my wife made bourbon and cokes with it.

But I am very pleased with myself because I have 4 bottles of Eagle Rare 101 10yo bunkered away.
    Now that's some high quality whiskey.
    ovh