Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Disciple

Re: Increase in price

At the duty free store on the way back from Windsor,Ontario this past weekend, I saw some 1L bottles of Knob Creek for 42.00. The last 750 of KC I bought was 22.00. The same thing was going on with Woodford Reserve, seriously inflated prices. WT 101 8yr. was 19.00 for 1L, which is a good price and by the looks of things, its was flying right off the shelf. Some duty free is a bargain, others is a ripoff!

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    At the duty free store on the way back from Windsor,Ontario this past weekend, I saw some 1L bottles of Knob Creek for 42.00. The last 750 of KC I bought was 22.00. The same thing was going on with Woodford Reserve, seriously inflated prices. WT 101 8yr. was 19.00 for 1L, which is a good price and by the looks of things, its was flying right off the shelf. Some duty free is a bargain, others is a ripoff!

Thomas
    I just got a 1.75L Knob Creek from Binnys and it was only $48.99, so $42 seems very steep for a 1L

Scott
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day" - Frank Sinatra

Disciple

42.00 for a 1L of KC is quite steep, especially at duty free. I previously bought a 1.75 of KC with one of those pourer stands and it was only about 53.00. Canadian duty free is not real kind to the bourbon market, with the exception of WT.

Thomas

Advanced Taster

A 750 of KC is $31.99 here in Alabama. It's been about that since I first took note of it, which was about two years ago.

Larry
    I got the St Louis blues, I'm blue as I can get.
    I sent Louis to the liquor store, and he ain't come back yet.
    -Jimmy Johnson, "The Twelve Bar Blues"

Here in Louisiana I am paying:
    WL Weller 15.99 Winn Dixie
    Knob Creek 22.99 Sam's wholesale
    Maker's Mark 23.99 Winn Dixie Grocery Store
    Buffalo Trace 17.99 Local Grocery

Advanced Taster

I noticed WT Rye increase from $18 to $21 in Dallas.

Connoisseur

I have not noticed much of an increase in WA. our prices for some of these are;
    Knob Creek (750) $32.95
    Knob Creek (1.75) $59.95
    Eagle Rare SB $29.95
    Buffalo Trace $25.95
    Todd

Enthusiast

In looking over the responses, it seems that even with these price increases, I still have it better than many others. Thanks for sharing.

-Kevin

Taster

I live near the new hampshire border and they have great prices on liquor (not so great on wine, though). Current sale price (state-wide) of a 750 of KC is $20. Bakers 107 is $28. the Evan Williams SB is usually about $22. not to mention no sales tax in NH. Got the Saz 18 for $47 last week. Vermont has OK prices on liquor, but generally not a great selection. You can special order from their website though and have it delivered to your nearest shop to pick up.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

There are two things we probably need to get used to: less availability of long-aged whiskey at bargain prices, and higher prices for American whiskey across the board.

One bright spot is that we probably can expect to see more frequent deals on mainstream premium brands such as Knob Creek. With Knob Creek especially, we can expect to see it, since that is how Beam operates.

What we are seeing now is cyclical, though that may be small comfort since this expansion could be a long one. If China, India and some other markets develop as they are expected to, there could be supply pressure on whiskey for the next decade.

Producers are moving cautiously, in terms both of price and production increases, so a major backlash seems unlikely. At least here in the USA, American whiskey remains a bargain compared to other aged spirits. Higher prices will have an effect but it is hard to predict what that effect will be.