Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My First Dusty

Connoisseur

Re: My First Dusty

thanks again chuck and everyone else. now that i know the WLW reserve is a wheater, i can get a better sense of what i automatically/naturally like and what other mashbills i am attuning to...for example, that OGD BIB is now growing on me. and that's three weeks or so or touching base with it. i respect it now.

well, that McKenna has a stamp and from the same old store in New Castle DE that i bought the WLW...i assume it might be 20 years old. maybe a bit younger. maybe older.

i will certainly go back and get the last Weller at under $6...

and thanks also for the tip on the FR....i will probably stay away. i have plenty of other voodoo bottles on hand...

cheers to all
    HUP!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Check the city named on the label of the McKenna. If it says Bardstown, it's Heaven Hill. If it says Lawrenceburg it's Four Roses. If it says Louisville it's Seagram's Louisville (or one of the other Seagram's plants but bottled in Louisville) and if it says Fairfield, then it's the real deal. If it's 20 years old, it'll probably say Lawrenceburg, but it might already be Bardstown.

Connoisseur

i'll be checking that McKenna this weekend for sure.

well, since i finally uploaded the photos, here's that first dusty

maybe this will help clue someone to the approximate age of the bottle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HUP!

Virtuoso

Hey Andy, I have a tax stamp Antique and the tax stamp looks similar, it's a 1981 750 ml but I would gues the others are correct it's early 80's whiskey. Great stuff, enjoy!

Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Connoisseur

WT No. 8 101 found!

thanks tony!

i gotta say i found ANOTHER excellent dusty and i wasn't looking for one (quite...).

anyways, will show off those pictures in a bit...

a mid-90's WT 101 (No. 8...they don't use THAT designation anymore, do they???).

i thought that bottle looked different. no tax stamp, but it said (and talk about timing!) 12/20/94 on the gold foil...

cork broke off...then the other part FELL IN!

but i quickly transferred the contents to a WTRR101 empty...then got the original bottle cleared and re-de-canted.

and o my, it is so perfect. no wonder it's my all-time favorite bourbon!

oh and it was only $18.99 in tax-free DE
    HUP!