Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Taster

Walker's Bourbon?

My grandfather pasted and my grandmother, knowing I am a whiskey person gave me some of grandpa's bottles. One of which is an unopened Walkers Bourbon. Its says it's 8 years old and the it was distilled in Peoria, IL. Now I have read that at one time Illinois produced almost as much whiskey as Kentucky. The tax stamp is still on it as well. I can't decide if I want to open it and drink it or leave it. It is a nice bottle. Has anyone seen this before, or have tasted it?

Also grabbed a handle of I.W. Harper, also with a tax stamp. Its 86 proof. Some tax stamped 90 proof JD, and a tax stamped Jim Beam decanter. I have seen these before, but not with the whiskey still in them. Its ceramic I believe. I have a few empties, one with a Norman Rockwell on it. Can't remember what was on the one my grandmother gave me.

My guess is from reading other posts that the whiskey is still good. None of the bottles have corks, so no cork rot. The other question I have is about the tax stamp. I'm a younger guy(28), so I wasn't buying whiskey when these were around. Is there a way to tell the date? I was looking at it and I could not find it.

I'll try to post a picture of the bottles if I get a chance.
    "And that low down southern whiskey, began to fog my mind"
    -Little Feat
    -Dixie Chicken

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re: Walker's Bourbon?

The tax stamps on bottles of bonded whiskey told the season and year distilled and the season and year when bottled. Other tax stamps, generally, tell you nothing.

Canada's Hiram Walker was one of the big distillers in Peoria so, presumably, the Walker's is from them.

It would be interesting to taste an example of a well-aged Illinois bourbon. I've tasted Illinois bourbon before, but mostly bottom-shelf stuff that was pretty bad.
    Last edited by cowdery; 11-28-2007 at 20:59.

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Spend some time searching around here and you will find most of the info you need on tax stamps. But here's a quick recap from memory:

1) Bonds have dates
    2)The numbers on non-bonds are undecipherable.

It seems there may have been a color change at some point, but I'm not sure about that. Past these you have to start figuring out when certain things came and went on the bottles-Government warnings and such.

No matter what, it seems you have found a nice little stash of bottles, enjoy.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Taster

So I take it from your posts that I should drink this stuff?
    -Little Feat
    -Dixie Chicken

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by nickynick View Post
    So I take it from your posts that I should drink this stuff?
    Unless you have a better idea, yes.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I've tasted Illinois bourbon before, but mostly bottom-shelf stuff that was pretty bad.
    I found an Illinois bottle of Ten High over the holidays, and I bought it just to have an example of a bourbon not made in Kentucky. It was cheap enough. I don't expect the whiskey inside to be any good based on my reading.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Unless you have a better idea, yes.
    Not really, no.

So I'll give it a try. It is Walker's Deluxe Bourbon. Aged 8 years, I believe it is 86 proof. And it is from Peoria, IL.

Probably wait to crack it for awhile. Have to many open bottles and my future wife said no more bourbon(or any other whiskey for that matter) till I finish so of what I have. Mostly because we are running out space to put it in our apartment. Man I need a house with a basement...

Till I open it, it will serve as a nice memorial to grandpa. Even after I open it, it will still be a memorial to grandpa.
    -Little Feat
    -Dixie Chicken

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by nickynick View Post
    my future wife said no more bourbon(or any other whiskey for that matter) till I finish so of what I have.
    It's not too late to reconsider!

Guru

Similar story with my brother and his then wife's grandfather who only drank Walker's Delux.....it is ok...a decent mixer at best. It is drinkable but not great.

Nickynick...how about a nice tasting note on this one...
    Last edited by Jono; 11-29-2007 at 16:54.

Guru

I think this bourbon has very limited production and is occasionally unavailable per Google search results....here is an interesting bourbon list at a Bourbons Bistro - over 130 Bourbons...wow!

http://www.bourbonsbistro.com/bourbonlist.pdf

Walkers Delux is listed among their $5.00 offering...the low shelf stuff.

BOURBONS BISTRO 2255 FRANKFORT AVE. LOUISVILLE, KY 40206 502.894.8838
    HAPPY HOUR: 4:30 –7 EVERYDAY DINNER: 5 –10 SUN–THURS, 5–11 FRI & SAT

Also....if it is good enough for Basil Rathbone it is good enough for us! "Marvelous!"

http://www.basilrathbone.net/ads/walkersad.jpg