Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

What Is The Oldest Bourbon Ever Bottled?

Actually I have two questions:

i) what is the oldest bourbon ever bottled?

ii) what does it taste like?

I did a little searching on SB. I found so far a Heaven Hill 28 year old bourbon - yes 28 not 23 - bottled some 20 years ago for the Japan market.

I know too that Bettye Jo has a bottle of this.

Is this the oldest bourbon ever bottled?

Whether it is or not: what does a bourbon at least 28 years old taste like?

Gary

Guru

Re: What Is The Oldest Bourbon Ever Bottled?

While I share your curiousity, this thread saddens me with the reminder that over the last few years, "older" has often become equated with "(necessarily) better".

Not saying that's what your implying... just my random thought.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Oh that is not my intention at all: it is known in fact I generally prefer younger bourbons, with exceptions, oddly perhaps EC 18 - which has been bottled in fact at 20 years + - is a favorite.

Yet, simply as a matter of record, I think it would be interesting to know what bourbon is the oldest ever bottled, and what it tastes like.

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

I know of no older bottling of American whiskey.

A simplistic thought process:

Imagine the difference between Pappy 20 and 23...now extrapolate that out two more times. I would say, not too bad based on that assumption..though I prefer my Pappy at 15yo.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

This was not bottled, but 2 years ago at the Sampler Drew brought a sample of a 35yo barrel of Yellowstone they had found in the warehouse. It was interesting to try. Definitely like sucking on lumber, but fun anyway.
    Mike

"You're the best bourbon drinkers ever!" - Margo (waitress at Bourbon's Bistro in Louisville)

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I've never heard of anything older than 28 years from any previous eras, so I would imagine that 28 would do it. If there is anything older, it would be something else recently or currently produced.

I haven't had the HH 28, but I have tasted many of the various bottlings out there of 20+ year old products. Few are drinkable, even fewer are actually enjoyable, and even fewer are great.

Taster

This is an interesting question.

I don't think aging a low grade bourbon for a long time helps it any, just gives you woody low grade bourbon, so while I have not tasted it, I think the HH 28 would be not good at all.

I say this based on having tasted the older Black Maple Hills, which I understand are from HH, and they don't taste good to me.

Perhaps another way to come at this question is to ask: What is the best oldest bourbon? I guess you have to divide that up, something like what is the best bourbon in certain age ranges?

Bad Girl and Bourbonian Of The Year 2012

Quote Originally Posted by GreggB View Post

I say this based on having tasted the older Black Maple Hills, which I understand are from HH, and they don't taste good to me.

Better re-check your source of information on that one. Are you talking "older" as in a long time ago....or "older" as in age statements as currently bottled? And are you sure it's HH?

Dawn

Taster

Hey Dawn -- Sorry, sloppy writing on my part. I meant older in the sense of age statements on the label, so of course all Black Maple Hill bottlings are older bourbons.

I have been told that early releases of the Black Maple Hill contained bourbon obtained from Van Winkle stocks, and so of course would have been wonderful bourbons (but perhaps overpriced?). I have also been told that BMH no longer is supplied by Van Winkle, and that the bottlers now presumably drive across the road to fill their buckets with HH.

Have I got that right?

Virtuoso

Gregg,
    I'll give this a shot off the top of my head.

Any BMH that states Lawrenceburg contains whiskey that was sourced by Julian Van Winkle from here and there (much of it SW, but also Boone and perhaps others) and bottled by him (perhaps literally) at the Hoffmann distillery that he owned for some time in the '80s and '90s (IIRC). This ended when he entered into his agreement with BT (I think I remember it as 2001, but someone else can pin this down).

Any BMH that states Bardstown was bottled after VW let the account go and it was taken up by Evan and Drew Kulsveen of Kentucky Bourbon Distillers at the Willett distillery. The Kulsveens source much of their whiskey from HH, but don't assume all the juice in any of their products is 100% from any one distillery. They have barrels of this and that from different distilleries, some of it quite old, that they blend with.

As far as "across the road" - Willett is indeed both across the road and across the creek (which I believe Rowan's Creek feeds into) from HH in Bardstown, but Lawrenceburg is some miles down the road.

Roger
    Last edited by Rughi; 12-29-2007 at 22:03.