Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Hudson Manhattan Rye Whiskey

Obtained through channels. This is the third whiskey type in the American canon released by the microdistiller, Tuthilltown Spirits, of Gardiner, NY (in the Hudson Valley, near New Paltz). I haven't tried the first two releases (a young bourbon and a corn whiskey).

It is a 100% rye mash product, double distilled in pot stills.

This was aged in a small new charred oak barrel with tapered ends. The aging was only a few months but the small barrel would have accentuated the maturation. 46% abv.

The smell is of sappy wood, light smoke or char and "varsol".

It is a lovely product, better in my view than the Potrero rye (although presenting some similarities). The wood gums really add to the taste, they envelop and "present" the other elements. Beautiful example of artisanal distilling.

It will be in Chicago next week (in my room) for Tim Sousley and others to sample.

Gary

Re: Hudson Manhattan Rye Whiskey

Further sampling discloses again the "wood sap" taste. I have had rebarreled whiskeys - aged whiskeys that were re-aged privately in small, new charred barrels - and noted a similar taste. I wonder if the barrel type used for all these whiskeys may be influencing the taste. The taste in the case of the Hudson rye is I think salutary. It reminds me of a young bourbon, say Heaven Hill's or Ancient Age's white label, if you added a dash of Greek retsina wine to it. It would be great ice cold I think, as retsina is. I believe this Hudson whiskey is representative of some early American whiskeys.

Gary

Enthusiast

"Obtained through Channels" sounds very cloak and dagger. These channels wouldn't be mail order though would it? I'd love to try some new rye.
    --Mark

When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

Nothing cloak and dagger about it, the whiskey was bought by yours truly from Astor Liquors on Lafayette Street, New York City, during a recent brief visit there. I said "channels" to indicate you have to be in the know how to find this stuff; now other SB-ers are.

Gothamites take note: on April 14 Tuthilltown distillers is having a tasting at Astor.

Gary

Enthusiast

Cool. Now let's hope I can find some by mail order. Thanks for keeping us informed about these new ryes. I really appreciate it.
    --Mark

When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water.

I've been brewing beer for 21yrs. and making wine a few. I'm really interested in Rye since trying a few. Michter's Single Barrel US1 and Sazerac 6 yo. Any thoughts on a good mash bill?
    Last edited by burbankbrewer; 01-03-2008 at 13:15.

Connoisseur

Moonshiner?
    Mike
    "Some people were born on third base and think they hit a triple"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by burbankbrewer View Post
    I've been brewing beer for 21yrs. and making wine a few. I'm really interested in Rye since trying a few. Michter's Single Barrel US1 and Sazerac 6 yo. Any thoughts on a good mash bill?
    Welcome, Burbankbrewer

I have some thoughts on where to search on this site for interesting reading on historical and current industry practices, but maybe you'd like to introduce yourself in the "New to Straightbourbon" forum first. It's a little weird for an anonymous first poster to ask advice on something which for the general populace is illegal.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by shyster512 View Post
    Moonshiner?
    Uh no, just sunshine.
    Jamie

Virtuoso

Jamie,
    I'm glad of your interest. As is probably obvious, there are only a few of us on this site with actual distilling or industry experience, such as cowdery, etohchem, tdelling, jvwinkle - but the rest of us love to read and speculate.

Here are a few good links:
    This one is interesting and in post 69 discusses the lack of consistency in different writings.

This one talks about fun times at Mount Vernon.

This one isn't about rye per se, but has fun speculations on the differences of wheat and rye bourbons.

Anyways, Jamie, I found all these just by typing "mashbill" into the search. There are dozens more you could easily access.

Roger