Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator in exile

BOTM, 12/07: The Year in Review

Well, we're getting a late start again this month, and for that I apologize. What I thought might be fun is to begin a discussion comparing and contrasting this year's (2007) list of bourbons deemed worthy of the BOTM title. Would you consider one as Bourbon of the Year? If we can come to a consensus on a few, maybe we'll vote on a finalist. This year's list included (in no particular order):

Basil Hayden's
    VOB BIB
    Jim Beam Black
    Blanton's
    VW 12yo Lot "B"
    Pappy Van Winkle 20yo
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    William Larue Weller
    Old Pogue
    OGD BIB
    EC 18

Also, we've been at this for 2 1/2 years now, and while there are still quality bourbons left out there to showcase, as you can imagine the list is not infinite and we cannot continue on forever, while trying not to duplicate and maintaining a list of bourbons that are easily available to most of our members. We are open to hearing ideas for how you would like to see this continue, assuming you find it a valuable resource. What do you like, what would you like to see changed? Really we are just brainstorming here, but you guys provide most of the content, so it only seems right to get your input. Let us know what you think!

Sound off
    Last edited by jeff; 12-13-2007 at 12:13.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: BOTM, 12/07: The Year in Review

Of these, I think one of the best and most distinctive is W.L. Weller. It has a close connection to the barrel source because of its proof, has a rich, pure taste, and just stands above the others generally in my view. If we were to vote from a group I would include EC 18, Pappy 20 and FRSB.

As for the future, I would consider doing 12 months of vatted bourbons. You, Jeff, might take suggestions from those interested during the month for selection in the next.

E.g., say Four Roses Small Batch and Bulleit were vatted 50/50, as I did the other day. People who have those bottles could make it in the glass, thus no big investment is required. We would re-use the resources of the past, in other words, but in a different way. VOTM, in a word.

Gary

Advanced Taster

I'm a newbie here, and don't yet have a good sense of what might and might not work. And much of what follows amounts to little more than some brainstorming of my own. With those things said:

Some years ago I participated on a guitar forum that had a "Lunch Report" program. Each day, Mon-Fri, the current week's Lunch Reporter would start a new thread on the subject of his choosing, and the other members would discuss it. Each Lunch Reporter was also charged with appointing a new Lunch Reporter for the following week.

A variation of this might work here ... some member would announce his choice for BOTM and explain why he chose it. Discussion would ensue, pretty much as it does now. The BOTM designator would moderate the discussion, asking follow-up questions to keep things moving; at some time during the month, he would arrange for someone else to take over the BOTM job next. Basically, any participating member should be eligible: while there is much to be learned from the veteran members, the "out of the mouths of babes" factor could be refreshing, too.

As for "rules," I can think of only two to propose: whoever chooses the BTOM should basically take one turn only (there could be notable exceptions); and while the choice of any given BOTM ought to be left as wide-open as possible, perhaps there should be a stipulation that no BOTM choice should repeat within, say, any 12 month period.

Gary's vatting idea is intriguing, and could be easily incorporated. If he was chosen to select the BOTM and wanted to talk about a vatting, that'd be perfectly okay.

Lastly, again because I'm new, I don't know how much emphasis has been placed on choosing bourbons that are widely available. That's obviously a good idea, whenever possible; but I for one don't at all mind reading about some slightly-hard-to-find bottling that might be worth seeking out.

Just an idea. I won't necessarily say it's a good idea.

Larry
    I got the St Louis blues, I'm blue as I can get.
    I sent Louis to the liquor store, and he ain't come back yet.
    -Jimmy Johnson, "The Twelve Bar Blues"

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Maybe BOTM could be a competition, with a pair of bourbons going head-to-head. Choose two bottlings, that are direct marketplace competitors, and give half the month to discussion between the two and the second half of the month to voting. Divide up the year into price categories, starting out low and working your way up to the Unlimited Division. A previous years' winner or loser could be paired up with a different bottling in its class in the future(possibly several years down the line) allowing it to defend its title or avenge its loss against another bottling.

As far as bourbon of the year, I'm always willing to support the underdog (I am a Bengals fan, after all) and place a vote for VOB BIB. But would also give nods to FRSB and Blanton's.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    .......assuming you find it a valuable resource.
    As someone who is new both to Straightbourbon.com and to bourbon in general, I have found the Bourbon of the Month forum to be the most valuable resource on this website.

Cheers,
    Steve

Connoisseur

I agree with Sdawg.

Guru

Thumbs up Re: BOTM, 12/07: The Year in Review

I would go for the Blanton's.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Guru

None of these would be my BOTY 2007 (that would be Parker's Heritage Selection).

But if I gotta pick from this list I would go with Lot B.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

Thumbs up Re: BOTM, 12/07: The Year in Review

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Of these, I think one of the best and most distinctive is W.L. Weller. It has a close connection to the barrel source because of its proof, has a rich, pure taste, and just stands above the others generally in my view. If we were to vote from a group I would include EC 18, Pappy 20 and FRSB.

As for the future, I would consider doing 12 months of vatted bourbons. You, Jeff, might take suggestions from those interested during the month for selection in the next.

E.g., say Four Roses Small Batch and Bulleit were vatted 50/50, as I did the other day. People who have those bottles could make it in the glass, thus no big investment is required. We would re-use the resources of the past, in other words, but in a different way. VOTM, in a word.

Gary
    i like this idea alot. the possible permutations will certainly allow for more (qualitative AND quantitative) reviews. whether as an extra ("VOTM") thread...or as an occasional thread between BOTM threads.
    HUP!

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    None of these would be my BOTY 2007 (that would be Parker's Heritage Selection)...
    Agree on the Parker's. However, from the BOTM list for '07, I'd nominate the Four Roses Single Barrel for BOTY. It's a fine bourbon, bargain priced, and dynamic in its spreading distribution and availability.
    I don't always participate in BOTM discussions, for whatever reason, but I generally read them, and find them interesting and thought-provoking. I hope they continue.
    I see no reason bourbons -- or other American whiskey (ryes or malts, et al) -- can't be repeated. We certainly talk about differences in EC12 batches, for example, and old vs. new versions of long-standing bottlings. I think repetition would be a fine and useful way of charting changing tastes and distillery qualities over time.
    And, I'm always open to Gary's vatting experiments -- though I think that might be something reserved for a forum (whether BOTM, or other) when the poster's discretion directs the discussion.
    Tim