Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM, 12/07: The Year in Review

As both a new member and a new bourbon drinker this section of the forum is essential IMHO. Please continue it. Every one has to learn from someone unless you want to go thru a lot of trial and error and money. You guys are experts. Your willingness to share your wisdom and experiences with us newbies is what makes this forum such a great place.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Just to add to Tim's point about repetition, peoples' take on even the same bottling will differ: reason enough to continue BOTM as is. It's the old, you say "tomahto", I saw "tomayto"...

Gary

Apprentice

I hope the BOTM will continue also. It is informative and interesting to hear the opinions regarding the different bourbons. Kinda like reading Car and Driver, you may not ever have a chance to drive the latest Ferrari, but it is kinda neat to read about it
    Dave

You're not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holdin' on.-Joe E. Lewis

Enthusiast

I very much look forward to BOTM. Yes I am a little bummed when you have one I can't get or had but the stores are out. I would mix it up some Gillmans, some head to head, a American straight rye the next. That should spread out the repeats and keep it fun, entertaining yet still be educational. My vote goes for the VW lot B by a narrow margin over the FR single barrel. I didn't get to try the William Laure Weller, and it has been a couple seasons since I've had Blanton's.

Hey It's my B day. It is 12:50 AM 12-14 now. I wonder what Bourbon is in my immediate future. Sounds like another post is coming.
    Last edited by HipFlask; 12-13-2007 at 23:52.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Bourbonian of the Year 2006

I have to vote for FRSB as the BOTY.

I credit FR with taking baby steps to achieve and redevelop a robust market without creating a demand abyss.

All in all, they have a nice limited line of complementary products.

FRSB is great whiskey. Let's hear it for one-story warehousing!!!!
    Colonel Ed
    Bourbonian of the Year 2006

Comissioned by Paul Patton, 1999

"It ain't the booze that brings me in here, it's the solace it distills"

Guru

I love the FRSB (actually I like the FR DmB (that's small batch ) even better. But for me, that was a BOTY from the past... admittedly I have the wondeful) advantage of living in KY.

Both FR expressions (Sb and SmB) are fantastic... but not unique to 2007.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Really we are just brainstorming here, but you guys provide most of the content, so it only seems right to get your input. Let us know what you think!

Sound off
    How about expanding this to a "bang for the buck" sort of rating? With each discussion the participants would indicate what they paid for their bottle (that comparison alone might be interesting), and give the bourbon a rating, 1-10 or 1-100 or some chosen scale - this part would be purely subjective. Over time we could compile these and it would provide a comparative chart. Some interesting patterns might become apparent.
    Craig

Guru

Keep it the way it is with perhaps some variation like comparing, say, a Weller Antique with a Weller Special reserve. I also have no objection to repeating prior choices over a period of time.

Squire

Advanced Taster

This is the thread that really got me into SB.com. Bottlings seem to change, and so do members of this forum. So, I wouldn't have any qualms with repeated BOTMs as they would invite new and different comments from members. Also, there seems to be enough new bottlings (RR Rye, WTAS, BTAC, EWSB, EW 1783 'No. 10' as opposed to '10 yo', various overlooked bottom shelf bourbons, etc.) that manifest with enough frequency to justify the continuation of this thread. As an open invitation to comments, tasting notes and general banter about particular bottlings, this thread must stay! There is a reason that it resides towards the top of the thread list... BOTM is an essential part of SB.com. We all look forward to it.
    Kevin

"Why don't you quit cryin' and get me some bourbon?"

Taster

Howdy,

I'm with CAS, let's have categories. "Bang for the buck", "Best, regardless of price", et al. FWIW, the only Bourbon listed I've tried is JBB. It's good in my Diet Coke.

Eggman