Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: BOTM, 12/07: The Year in Review

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Of these, I think one of the best and most distinctive is W.L. Weller. It has a close connection to the barrel source because of its proof, has a rich, pure taste, and just stands above the others generally in my view.Gary
    For the reasons stated above, I am in agreement with Gary and my vote goes to WLW. In addition, like the other member bottles of the Antique Series, a bottle of WLW will go a long, long way if consumed under normal operating procedure for a high proof......which makes it much more economical than one might think when laying down the bucks at the point of purchase. Lot B would be a close second in my book.

Guru

Lot B is a high quality drink. I not only enjoy sipping a glass, I also enjoy the residual smell on the glass the following morning.

Disciple

WLW-06

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Apprentice

Like many others I have learned a great deal from BOTM. It appears that no one favors doing away with the thread entirely - but that is simply because you haven't asked the right people. I am sure my wife would be overjoyed to retain at least a portion of the money you guys cost her every month.

I am intrigued by the idea of starting a VOTM thread. It would really expand the number of options available to all of us. I have been a little afraid to try it out because I figure I will take two good bourbons and make one bad one. But with the expertise some of you have it might be possible to turn two or more average bourbons into something good. I am still looking for a way to put that bottle of Basil Hayden's to use.

As far as BOTY, I would have to vote for FRSB followed by WLW and Lot B. Thanks Jeff you did a great job with the selections. There really wasn't a bad bourbon among them (with the possible exception of BH) IMO.

Roger

Bourbonian of the Year 2010 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    L
    I am intrigued by the idea of starting a VOTM thread. It would really expand the number of options available to all of us. I have been a little afraid to try it out because I figure I will take two good bourbons and make one bad one. But with the expertise some of you have it might be possible to turn two or more average bourbons into something good. I am still looking for a way to put that bottle of Basil Hayden's to use.
    Roger
    I think a "what are you vatting now" thread would be a good thing to have in the tasting section, but as much as I like the concept of a vatting thread, a vatting of the month seems overly limiting to the concept. There are so many possible combinations that only one a month seems overly limiting. Maybe it could be called "Gillmanization of the Moment".

As far as turning two good bourbons into one bad one, while it could happen, I haven't had it occur. If you have two bourbons you like, vatting them is unlikely to turn ugly, it may take a bit of time to get the proportions worked out, but it'll likely be favorable from the start. The best part is, it only takes a half ounce or less to give it a shot, not much risk there.
    2010 Bourbonian of the Year

As long as you have good whiskey you're not "unemployed", you're "Funemployed!!!"

I'm no Pappyophile

Enthusiast

While I don't always have the funds or the resources to procure a BOTM bottle, I look forward to reading about whiskies I haven't tasted.

As for my vote for the year, I'd go for either FRSB (for it's great flavor profile, together with price point), or the EC18 (for it's sheer uniqueness--although the recent Binny's bottling was less favorable than the only other one I purchased, which dated from a few years ago).

The WLW is in a class on its own, really. I've had just one bottle and the barrel proof stuff, to me, is not like anything 110 or lower. In other words, it's on a different level. That said, it's a close third.

As for vatting, I wholeheartedly endorse some kind of forum for this virtually unexplored territory. I've often fantasized about a recipe book or something of the sort with vatting combos. Gillman has always intrigued me with his own musings of the sort, and I surely would like to encourage more from him as well as experimentation on my own.

Cheers and happy holidays!
    "It hasn't cured my broken heart, but it sure helps a lot."
    -Ernest Tubb

Enthusiast

I too like the VOTM idea but I agree that is belongs in the tasting section. For here I think it might be interesting to do a head to head with the winner being declared the BOTM. Rotate this concept with the traditional method and some of the other ideas. And a year end discussion or vote of all the winners.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough". Mark Twain

Virtuoso

I too see the great value in the BOTM threads. I see no reason why the same BOTM can't be the same bottle in different years; no two years are the same, right? It might be nice to compare, say, an EC18, Four Roses Single Barrel or WTRB purchased last year to one purchased this year. The same actors get Academy Awards every year for different roles/films and I see no reason why the everchanging beauty of bourbon can't be afforded the same consideration.
    Great, very informative threads overall and I revisit them often.
    Cheers!

Enthusiast

BOTM is my favorite part of the forums. While I agree that it is important to highlight bourbons that are moderately priced and relatively easy to find, I think it may be fun to pick some bourbons that aren't quite as readily available.

Granted, the folks in Kentucky will always have a decided advantage , but there would be an added element of fun for those of us who have to look high and low for the tasty bourbons of the world.
    ____
    Chris

Advanced Taster

Thumbs up Re: BOTM, 12/07: The Year in Review

I agree with the general sentiment that BOTM is one of the best features of the site. I think that with a little flexibility, like VOTM (on occasion) this can go on for quite some time. Remember too that many bourbons change over time so revisiting a bottle after a few years might not be such a bad thing.
    "I'm and optimist, even if the glass is half empty, there's still more in the bottle!!!!!"