Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

New from Puget Sound

Hello,

I've always enjoyed bourbon more than any other spirit but hadn't really experimented much (typically drank Maker's Mark on the rocks or Jim Beam in mixed drinks). After moving to WA state from Napa, CA about 6 years ago I started drinking a lot of WA wines to get to know the landscape up here and I have to say I've been impressed. About a month ago I got an urge to have some good bourbon and began searching for a site that could give me some tips.

I'd like to thank all of you for your helpful tips and great taste. In a short amount of time, based on your advice, I've acquired many of the bottles I've seen recommended by you all. I'm sort of limited living in WA since the state liquor stores have a somewhat limited selection although there is one store in downtown Seattle that is stocked with top-notch stuff. Still, I've really enjoyed the various styles of bourbons and I'm trying to find out what style I like the most. Here's what I've picked up so far:

Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 15 yr
    Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 20 yr
    Blanton's
    Buffalo Trace
    Wild Turkey 101
    Wild Turkey Rare Breed
    Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 yr
    Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel
    W.L. Weller 12 yr
    Old Weller Antique 7yr
    Elijah Craig 12 yr
    Baker's
    Booker's

Of these I'd say my favorites have been the PVW 15 (very complex), Baker's (great balance, spice, and some chocolate up front), Booker's (it's got a little of everything -- sort of the quintessential bourbon profile to me), and Weller 12 (went I want something really comforting, simple and smooth).

Anyway, thanks again for a great forum and I look forward to learning more and more from you all! I'm especially keen on honing in on some good bargain brands that are more amenable to making Manhattans w/out guilt.

Cheers,

Ron

Virtuoso

Re: New from Puget Sound

Ron, welcome! May I be the first to say nice starting collection. Soulds like you've been reading quite a bit. Good luck on finding your favorite there's just so many!

I'll raise a glass of Weller 10yr. Centennial that I have not been able to put down since Friday.

Cheers
    Tony
    "So long as the presence of death lurks with anyone who goes through the simple act of swallowing, I will make mine whiskey"

Connoisseur

Welcome to SB.com..the Pacific NW contingent continues to grow! You picked up all those bottles in a month! Wow...
    There are several threads on peoples favorite "budget" bottle. Mine in the sub $20 is OGD BIB at $19.05. My favorite "budget" bottle of them all would have to be Rittenhouse Rye BIB $15.10.

Enjoy your search!
    Todd

Guru

Ron,

Welcome aboard!

From the look of your list I'd say your lurking has been a good influence on you.

Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield
    Yours truly,
    Dave Morefield

Dog Lover, Euphonium Player, Campfire Guitarist, Marksman,

Guru

Ron,

Welcome! Looks like your a fast study. Tasting at your place?

Lat night I was sipping some W. L. Weller Special Reserve and it was very good. Even though it's an inexpensive drink, about $17/bottle here in MI, it's a great value.

Will

Apprentice

Good to see you here. You are right about the downtown store, but it looks to me like there might be some good pickings in Bellingham, too. I've never been to these, but I've noticed some hits up there when looking for more unusual bourbons on the state web site. (You undoubtedly know about this, but here it is anyway: http://www.liq.wa.gov/PriceBook/PriceBookMenu1.asp
    Notoriously innaccurate but sometimes helpful, nonetheless).

Happy sipping!
    Cornman

Advanced Taster

I'd definitely be down for a tasting at my place sometime. Of course we'd need to have some slow smoked pork shoulder and such to do the drink justice.

As a quick aside, one of the best sandwiches I've ever had was at a nice place in New Orleans. Put some duck or pork in the smoker and get it nice and tender. Get (or bake) some nice multi-grain bread and make yourself some cashew butter in the food processor. Add a bit of molasses and garlic to the cashew mix for good measure. Toast the bread and spread some pepper jelly on after the cashew butter. The jelly makes the smoked meat even more gelatinous and succulent. Then pile on the smoked meat and you have the richest, smokiest, and memorable sandwich ever. I have a more specific recipe somewhere if you're interested.

Connoisseur

Pork Butt and Bourbon...now your talking! Now I need to ask what kind of smoker you use? I was thinking this coming summer an North West SB BBQ and tasting would be a good thing, there are several of us now.
    I have a Weber Smokey mountain and a large Big Green Egg. A nice drink of Bourbon goes well with the smoke rolling off a cooker.
    Todd

Advanced Taster

My smoker is a "Great Outdoors" brand (stainless version). I pasted in a link below but not sure if it will work (I'm not good at this stuff). It runs off propane and thus isn't a true "pit" but I can't argue with the results. Sounds like you have some nice equipment -- and I've heard great things about those Eggs. Which of your two smokers do you prefer?

http://hires.basspro.com/is/servlet/...0,0&iccEmbed=0

Connoisseur

I always push the WSM. If a person has a grill already, the WSM is IMHO the best smoker bang for the $$$. I have run it for 16 hours on one load of charcoal. It is very easy to use and has a great support web site.
    The BGE is an incredible grill/smoker combo. I have had it up to 1000 for some nice searing action on steaks and then you can smoke at 250. I don't think there are many cookers that can do both like that. It has a pretty good support site but they are so fixed on Egg or nothing it can get a little anoying. The Weber site I use is focused on Weber products but almost everyone on the site has multiple cookers and they will help you with yoru questions no matter what your cooking on.
    We've been talking about throwing together a BBQ/tasteing this summer. we will have to make it happen.

Todd