Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bourbon as a gift for an old friend - his wife is a big bourbon drinker

Hey there. I have read through all of the threads related to giving Bourbon as a gift, but still not found an answer. Hoping some of you might be able to provide a little more insight.

I want to give an old friend a nice bottle of bourbon for a house warming gift. I am fine with spending $100 on the bottle, and would like to get him something he would appreciate but not typically buy for himself.

I am in North Carolina, so I kind of have to go the route of the ABC store.

Here is the kicker - he isn't a hard-core bourbon drinker, but his wife is a BIG fan. I want to get him something he can share with his wife.

Is this enough information?

PVW 18/20 and others have been mentioned. I do not know if I have access to those in NC.

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Re: Bourbon as a gift for an old friend - his wife is a big bourbon drinker

Welcome, H4H. This questions comes up from time-to-time, and I really enjoy trying to come up with an appropriate selection. A couple of questions, though. Do you know what she currently drinks regularly? Does she have a proof preference? Is there anything in your relationship with them that you can key off of? Like, a Kentucky connection...so you could gift WT "Kentucky Spirit", for instance. Are you close to Charlotte? If so, you can cross the border into SC on I-77 and hit a very good store there. If you're generous enough to go the $100, even a couple hour drive might not be a problem. Let us know.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Welcome, H4H. This questions comes up from time-to-time, and I really enjoy trying to come up with an appropriate selection. A couple of questions, though. Do you know what she currently drinks regularly? Does she have a proof preference? Is there anything in your relationship with them that you can key off of? Like, a Kentucky connection...so you could gift WT "Kentucky Spirit", for instance. Are you close to Charlotte? If so, you can cross the border into SC on I-77 and hit a very good store there. If you're generous enough to go the $100, even a couple hour drive might not be a problem. Let us know.
    To add to what Joe said, don't think you have to get something spendy to get something good. There's a point of diminishing returns with bourbon. People might disagree as to what that point is, but most would agree that $100 is past that point.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Connoisseur

$100 worth of anything in a plastic 1.75 bottle would be perfect. That's like a case of booze. You could take care of their "house" bourbon for guests for years to come.

Guru

What about a combo... a great bourbon and a great rye?
    There are multiple combinations to consider.

Connoisseur

I recently saw some of the old 4 packs of Jim Beam Small Batch collection for around a $100. That could be a classy alternative. Shut up all you Beam haters, I wouldn't buy it either just a suggestion. Don't act like you wouldn't take it if someone gifted you a set.

I appreciate the responses. I wish I knew more about her preferences. They are up in NYC and she is originally from Sweden, so I do not believe she has any KY connections.

I know what y'all are thinking - A Swedish, bourbon drinking woman

Anyway, I am kind of far from the SC border, much closer to VA. I can not take the time in the next few weeks to drive to SC, unfortunately.

I would like to do one bottle as opposed to a case or whatever, they have a very small place now in NYC and I just want to give them something they will enjoy.

I certainly do not have to spend $100, I mainly meant that I didn't want to go too far over that amount.

Virtuoso

A Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 and a Family Reserve Rye 13 yr should be about $100.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Hoping4Help View Post
    I appreciate the responses. I wish I knew more about her preferences. They are up in NYC and she is originally from Sweden, so I do not believe she has any KY connections.

I know what y'all are thinking - A Swedish, bourbon drinking woman
    I give you an advice. Of natural courses my lady partner is Swedish as well. She has adopted a lot my taste for American whiskey and her favourite is vintage 21 rye. I really appreciate it a lot myself as well. Hope it is ok as an advice despite it isnít bourbon.

Leif
    Swedish lover of American whiskey

Enthusiast

The Van Winkle can be tough to find in some areas. If you can wait another few weeks you may want to try to find a bottle of Eagle Rare 17 or GT Stagg from the Fall 2009 release. You'll definitely be able to order from a VA abc and keep it under $70.
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....