Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Guru

Re: How much Hirsch 16 yr old is left?

Between the red wax and gold wax:

AH Hirsch.jpg

Thank you Moz for the image I pilfered from another posting of yours.
    Last edited by spun_cookie; 01-11-2009 at 10:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Attila View Post
    It seems like in the last 6 months the blue wax has gone from about $80 to about $160 when it is available at auction in Japan.

I wonder why such the quick increase.

I also wonder why there is such wide variation in the shade of blue I have been seeing around here. Some more dark navy while others are more blue.
    I think the price increase David, is simply because people in the states with connections there in Japan have discovered it. $80 for a blue is highway robbery when you see the gold foil priced at $200+ here!!

As for the color variation, I'd assume just like a label or anything else it may get some variation over time from light exposure. I'll check my bottles and see if I can tell any variation.

Quote Originally Posted by WsmataU View Post
    That would make me nervous as well. Peeling a case of gold foil and re-dipping would triple its value. Gotta love e-bay!
    I don't think it'd be that easy, and all it would get you is some gold wax assuming the person didn't notice the slight label variation between GWax and Gfoil. There is a slight difference in the gold labels.

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi View Post
    Hirsch has never been my game, but I seem to remember that the script label changed either between the blue wax and gold wax or between the gold wax and gold foil?
    That label change you describe happened, as you can see in Spun's picture, between the Blue Wax and Gold Wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Rughi
    With drinkers prices having given way to collectors prices a long time ago on these, I'd keep notes and compare photos with known real bottles to protect myself from fraud if I were in this market.

Having tried a bit of Hirsch, I'd be really upset if I paid for wax and got foil. I didn't find such a large step between the two waxes, so I'd still be litigious if I got defrauded this way, but at least I'd pretty much have the juice.
    Maybe it's just me, but I've seen a a little bit of paranoia [for lack of a better word] about bottle fraud, but I've never read anybody state that they know of a case for sure? I understand it's human nature both to suspect the worst and to be greedy leading one to commit the worst; however to go to the extent of creating an identical label and wax dip in hopes of making a couple hundred bucks seems lunacy. It's not like the Hirsch Blue Wax label would be an easy one to forge, maybe for a talented graphic artist, then like I said I am sure that talented GA probably gets paid enough that it wouldn't be worth wasting the time. Just my 2cents but I guess I'd like to see if there's ever been a case of this before I up my level of concern.
    Last edited by Virus_Of_Life; 01-11-2009 at 22:12.
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

... Not to mention the Blue Wax is bottled in the glass bottles that have the green tint. I believe Julian used these for all his original early bottlings. So, I guess if someone didn't know any of and research any of these things they could get taken by a counterfeit Blue Wax, but it's really unlikely me thinks!
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Re bottle fraud, I don't know of it happening with American whiskey, but from time to time it has been a serious problem with Scottish single malts.

Re the Hirsch whiskey itself, some people (i.e., me) consider it outstanding, others do not. I think I bought my last bottle or two of 16-year gold foil at $70 or $80 and if I had the money, I would buy more at that price. How much it's "worth" is subjective, but to me it's certainly worth $70-$80, and not as an investment or collectible, but to drink.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by spun_cookie View Post
    Between the red wax and gold wax:

AH Hirsch.jpg

Thank you Moz for the image I pilfered from another posting of yours.
    Thanks for the picture! I didn't realize that the blue wax had a different label (as if it makes a difference). I'll keep looking!
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

You want Gold wax? Book a cruise on the NCL Jewel. They had Gold wax for $9.75 a pour. Their pour is strictly measured and exactly 1 oz.

Novice

Quite a while ago, at least six months, I was told by my local liquor store chain that they had no more Hirsch 16 Gold Foil for $80, and that if I wanted them to order, it would be $250 or more, if they could get it. Since then, they continue to put one bottle on the shelf at a time for the same $80, so I keep buying when I see it.

Sometimes I think it is a steal at $80 because I hear of it costing $250 elsewhere, but other times I think it is a scam because it keeps showing up for the same price and some people say the whiskey is "disappointing" and "funcky."

Should I keep buying at $80?
    I don't really like bourbon, but it's worth it for the dusty hunt.

Enthusiast

Pink,

It really depends if you like it enough to keep spending $80; if it is your favorite bourbon then by all means go ahead and buy it at that price (which is the lowest I've heard of in awhile).

I've tried pours bottle of Gold Foil and Blue wax and I can honestly say my taste buds have had better for significantly less money.
    Jason
    "The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on"

2010 Fantasy Football Champion

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pink View Post
    Quite a while ago, at least six months, I was told by my local liquor store chain that they had no more Hirsch 16 Gold Foil for $80, and that if I wanted them to order, it would be $250 or more, if they could get it. Since then, they continue to put one bottle on the shelf at a time for the same $80, so I keep buying when I see it.

Sometimes I think it is a steal at $80 because I hear of it costing $250 elsewhere, but other times I think it is a scam because it keeps showing up for the same price and some people say the whiskey is "disappointing" and "funcky."

Should I keep buying at $80?
    Yep, keep buying at that price. And, you would have been an absolute hero if you had included a bottle with those Glencairn's you got for your friend.

All of that said, I don't get all the hubbub on the Gold Foil from a taste perspective. It's not struck me as being mind blowing. But, tastes differ...My rec to buy at $80, would be for the opportunity to sell at something significantly higher. Though to date, I've never sold a bottle for a profit.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I'm inclined to say that if you have to ask us, then the answer is no.